New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a question about pistols in NYS; are all pistol owners required to provide a fired cartridge case for state records no matter the age of the registered pistol??

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
There is no microstamping and there is no more COBIS. You don't need to have any casings sent. Used pistols are exempt. Out of state is exempt too unless it was brand new while COBIS was in effect.

Stay in Florida.

Ohh you changed the thread title and first post. But in short, no don't need a fired case anymore. It doesn't matter if it's a new or used gun you are buying, or a gun that you already have and are bringing into the state.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
No. CoBIS, the program you are referring to, was ended in April. No more cases are collected. Any new pistol you buy now will have the fired case packaged with it whereas before the case was removed to be sent to the state police to keep on file.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think Maryland is the last state carrying on with this nonsense.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I think Maryland is the last state carrying on with this nonsense.
Maybe in 40 more years with another 70 Billion they might almost get one possible suspect identified.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I'd like to get my cases back please.

;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought a glock 26 last month that did not have a case, but it could have been sitting in that gun shop for quite a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts