New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the link below and wondering how reliable these things are and if they are worth buying. Not just for the full 30 rd mag "look" but for functionality, i.e. inserting the mag, getting a good purchase on when removing the mag from the well. I like these because they arent riveted, just blocked and baseplate glued to make NY compliant. 11.50 a piece seems like a good deal compared to what the 10 rd PMAGS cost at my LGS (around $15.00). Just looking for advice and opinions. Thanks!

MAGPUL PMAG M3 5.56 10/30 Round Black with HartBlock

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Just remember, the mag has to be permanently modified to accept 10 round. No one knows what this means and it has been beaten to death. I wouldn't want to explain to an officer how these are permanent. I am not trying to start a big debate. Just dont want to see you get screwed while trying to follow the law.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have a couple of them. Bought them just for the cool factor, but as Gunsick mentioned, they suck while bench shooting. If I go to the range, I use my small 10rd mags. This hurts to say, but, I honestly don't even like going the range anymore, thanks to all this Un Safe Act ****

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I wouldn't want to risk it being mistaken for a 30 rounder and winding up dead from a trigger happy rookie. Yes, I know the odds are against it, but just not worth it to me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't want to risk it being mistaken for a 30 rounder and winding up dead from a trigger happy rookie. Yes, I know the odds are against it, but just not worth it to me.
I shoot on my brother in laws land which is adjacent to mine. He has quite a bit. Gun shots out where i am are a common sound to hear and no cops can get to where we shoot from any road.

And i wont be doing hardly if any bench shooting with these mags.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Just remember, the mag has to be permanently modified to accept 10 round.
I believe this is false. The law reads that modified magazines cannot be readily able to convert to accept more than 10 rounds.

As long as you show effort, I highly doubt anyone would prosecute you. As it is, LEO's are afraid of charging people on SAFE alone... If you have a mag that's blocked and epoxy'd, that's really fishing for a conviction and attention that no district wants.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Much of the info provided to local officers in the upstate area is confusing and the average officers don't really have all the info to handle situations w regards to the SAFE act.

That at being said, even the most aggressive DA is going to have a hard time prosecuting or not catching crap for spending tax money and tying the courts up.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Remember folks, don't exercise your rights! You might get shot!

Or, alternately, is it legal? Yep. Then who gives to craps what the cops think.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Remember folks, don't exercise your rights! You might get shot!

Or, alternately, is it legal? Yep. Then who gives to craps what the cops think.
Someone with ZERO money to hire a lawyer should always be aware of exactly where the line is. When I hit the lottery, then I will be the test case. Since you seem to be so willing, please march into a police station with your 10/30s and tell us how it goes.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Someone with ZERO money to hire a lawyer should always be aware of exactly where the line is. When I hit the lottery, then I will be the test case. Since you seem to be so willing, please march into a police station with your 10/30s and tell us how it goes.
Oh heavens no! I might get shot. Police have a long history of shooting people when they see magazines laying on the floor.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I believe this is false. The law reads that modified magazines cannot be readily able to convert to accept more than 10 rounds.

As long as you show effort, I highly doubt anyone would prosecute you. As it is, LEO's are afraid of charging people on SAFE alone... If you have a mag that's blocked and epoxy'd, that's really fishing for a conviction and attention that no district wants.
(A) has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition,

Looks like you are correct. We could drag on and argue what readily means. If you are in the woods vs a machine shop, readily has two different meanings.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Oh heavens no! I might get shot. Police have a long history of shooting people when they see magazines laying on the floor.
They have shot people for holding brooms, garden hoses, and nothing at all.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
(A) has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition,

Looks like you are correct. We could drag on and argue what readily means. If you are in the woods vs a machine shop, readily has two different meanings.
Of course! That's the idea.. Then there's no definitive red line. Just the way Annie-boy wanted it.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
They have shot people for holding brooms, garden hoses, and nothing at all.
So capacity and, specifically, this mag in particular has no bearing on wether on not you should use one?

I agree.

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
The law says that we were allowed to modify those 30 round pre bans to hold just ten so why should anyone think that a non threatened LEO would shot you for having a long magazine? That's just being overly paranoid! Even if it was capable of holding 30, when did that become a shoot on sight capital crime?

I had a Magpul 10/30 years ago but only used for display. Taking to the range just had a "poser" factor I couldn't stomach. On the other hand Magpul 10/20s were just right, easy to grab and never alarmed the skeet shooting crowd on Sunday morning.

Now a Beta or C mag 100 rounder converted to ten....that would be so super poser it would be cool!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So if you had the choice between Riveted for 12.50 with free shipping and Blocked and Glued for 13.99 $9 for shipping which would you choose? My mags dont get very dirty so removing the spring, not a huge issue for me. Blocked and glued offers a cleaner look and are available in FDE which would go nicely with my S&W AR, Is Riveted bad other than being an eyesore??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts