New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so looked at Brownells and they are selling an AR15 armorers kit for something like $1,400. WTF?

Here's my "kit":

Small ball peened hammer
Set of punches
Needle nose plyers
Tapco Armorers wench
Tapco Stock wrench (redundant)
Lower vice block
Upper vice block
Upper vice modified block (hold in pin position)

Would like to add:
Roll pin starter punches
Extractor tool

What else is really needed? And WTF are they selling at Brownells for $1,400?

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, problem with that is latest build is using a Wilson Combat free float upper rail that doesn't use a standard barrel nut, ao torque to spec has turned into tighten the crap out if it but stop before anythiing breaks.... :)

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
That is correct.....30-40 lbs.....
Usually not the issue if your running a free float rail system.

My "armorers kit" includes:
Channel locks
Castle nut wrench
Hammer
YHM barrel nut wrench
lots and lots of blue painters tape!

Out of 6 lowers I've only scratched 1 and that was because of my new injury.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I uhhh don't have a toolkit yet :) Then again my first AR is due to be completed soon.

So far I've acquired:

- roll pin punches
- roll pin holders
- painters tape (still nicked my lower - thats my bad tho)
- stock wrench (not needed for this build)
- lower vice block

i have lots of little things I still want to acquire.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Add a razor blade. I found these to be great for holding down the spring when you insert the front takedown pin, being thin enough to not get in the way at all but big enough to hold that spring in easily.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Add a razor blade. I found these to be great for holding down the spring when you insert the front takedown pin, being thin enough to not get in the way at all but big enough to hold that spring in easily.
Ya, and make sure u have something over the top of that spring when u go to insert the takedown pin....them suckers can fly...and usually u won't find the detent and or the spring...

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Ya, and make sure u have something over the top of that spring when u go to insert the takedown pin....them suckers can fly...and usually u won't find the detent and or the spring...
That is what the razor blade is for. Hold the spring down with the flat of the blade, the blade is so thin that you can insert the pin without taking the blade off.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I just push the detent in with my fingers and then shove the takedown pin in. I've only went parts hunting like 10 times lol.

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That tool can be made with a 1/4" clevis pin from the local hardware store for a cost of $1.00 and change! I made one and it work like a charm!
Or 1/4 dowel with hole drilled through it. I didn't seem to have any problems without the specialized tools, though...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts