New York Firearms Forum banner

ar15 question

Tags
ar15 question
1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  bpipe95 
#1 ·
so i picked up my bushmaster ar15 about 2 years ago, it has the A2 upper (so fixed carry handle) this is getting really annoying, it it better for my to just buy a new a3 upper and swap in my CH+BCG or buy just the a3 receiver and have someone reuse all the pervious parts off my a2 upper. ( is this even possible? or can some parts be used while others can not?) looking for the best option. i would rather spend sub $100 on a receiver than 4-500 on a new upper

#2 ·
The only thing that would keep you from getting a new upper receiver and swapping parts is if you have a pinned muzzle brake that you can't get a gas block over.

Even then you could dremel the gas block off and get a new 2 piece gas block to replace it.

#3 ·
If the gas block is working ok I would just leave it.
You can keep the gas block if you want to even if you want a free float you can still put a nice rail. Samson is a good one that goes over the existing
system barrel nut but you do not need to spend so much. I think there are others.
You can also cut the post and grind/round it a little and put any rails you want on top probably over the block to cover the cut part but I have seen some people finishing with the stone and blueing/painting that you could not tell that apart from a low profile one.
A reciever you can get for $70 stripped. Just swap the forward assist and the ejection cover parts.

#7 ·
There's more than a couple members on here who will let you borrow the tools. A member let me borrow them a year ago to install my free-float quad rail. It's super easy if you have a basic knowledge of tools (and a vice.)

#9 ·
The AR is a gunsmiths lego. just go to google, youtube, talk to a few folks, borrow a couple of tools and in no time you will be up and running.
If you are not mechanically oriented or cannot tell the difference between a hammer from a screwdriver like my cousin then take it
to the shop otherwise it could be a fun workbench project.
Do pay attention to the torque settings and put the grease and pins where they belong.
You need the barrel nut wrench and some punch sets too.

#10 ·
PM Brian @ VRI, he can swap it for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.