New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the fever, but what caliber to get. I am partial to 7.62 or 9MM because of the price. And I was reading something recently about using the same lower for multiple calibers? School me guys. And what are anyones thoughts on a Zastava PAP 7.62? Are they only 10 rounders? Thanks in advance.

Gus

·
Registered
215 Posts
5.56 / .223

Then when the time comes grab yourself a .300 blk barrel with a can and you will be a zombie shooting pro.

Wait...are suppressors even legal in NY?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Then when the time comes grab yourself a .300 blk barrel with a can and you will be a zombie shooting pro.

Wait...are suppressors even legal in NY?
Nope! Nor are threaded barrels on a semi-auto AR when it has a pistol grip.

The .300-221 Fireball Whisper Hush Blackout is good for shooting suppressed, or when you can't do that, it also treats heavy cast boolits pretty well and will still cycle. An AR-15 lower can handle pretty much any caliber that's skinnier than a 12 gauge shell and no longer than 2.25" loaded. That has produced a wide variety of uppers to use old Combloc surplus 7.62x25, as well as a bunch of different pistol rounds, a bunch of benchrest cartridges and wildcats, and then there's been people just shoehorning the fattest case and biggest bullet they can manage into other uppers.

And for OPs other question, the PAP is a single-stack, like the WASR-10, and can only accept proprietary 10-round magazines.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Get yourself a standard .223/5.56 AR, some preban mags and order bulk ammo online. Then go shoot the piss out of it.

You can always get into different calibers by swapping out the upper later.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Nope! Nor are threaded barrels on a semi-auto AR when it has a pistol grip.

The .300-221 Fireball Whisper Hush Blackout is good for shooting suppressed, or when you can't do that, it also treats heavy cast boolits pretty well and will still cycle. An AR-15 lower can handle pretty much any caliber that's skinnier than a 12 gauge shell and no longer than 2.25" loaded. That has produced a wide variety of uppers to use old Combloc surplus 7.62x25, as well as a bunch of different pistol rounds, a bunch of benchrest cartridges and wildcats, and then there's been people just shoehorning the fattest case and biggest bullet they can manage into other uppers.

And for OPs other question, the PAP is a single-stack, like the WASR-10, and can only accept proprietary 10-round magazines.
Wow you guys really have it BAD.

BTW from what im told, you can do a little modding to fit high cap mags in those cheapo PAPs if the frame has dimples. Correct me if Im wrong..

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get yourself a standard .223/5.56 AR, some preban mags and order bulk ammo online. Then go shoot the piss out of it.

You can always get into different calibers by swapping out the upper later.
So if I get a complete rifle in .223 what you are saying is I can get different uppers? even 9MM? in the future? And what is with the adjustable stocks. It can be adjustable if it is pre ban?

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
What is the best caliber in AR15? First lets assume we are talking rifle because 9mm is a pistol caliber.
Also when you say 7.62 which one? There are many.

IMO if you do not have any AR's it makes sense to have the parent 5.56 due to popularity, the best assortment of ammunition in value/bulk/suplus packs, hunting and tactical. The hunting is somehoe limited but the 60gr nosler partition and the barnes TSX 70gr are great white tail rounds. The problem is that this caliber for an inexplicable reason is not allowed in some places for deer so you need to step it up.
The next reasonable choice is a 6.8SPC2 and this is a great white tail, pig, black bear carrige but more expensive to feed so reloading is a good option.
Also the 7.62 russian (Same as the zastava) is a great cartrige for the AR15 that can shoot both value packs of steel or match grade loads for both target or hunting. The bullet assortment is not as rich as any of the other whisper or blackout due to the 310 bore but it yields more power than the blackout. Also great subsonic with heavy 303 british bullets. All this 308'ish have plenty of punch at short ranges make them great for white tail and other critters but loose power pronto due the low ballistics coeficients involved. So if you want to use it for lets say 300 yards better stay a couple of calibers down or the 6.8 case all together.
You also have the 30 Remington AR in 308 in single stack that will pop large game at very considerable ranges.
I am currently working in a 6.5 necked up from a 6br norma lapua that I will be using with big game and long range that is giving performance superior to other larger cases and calibers but this is a wildcat, expensive and it is not for everyone to reload.
Another very reasonable choice is the 6x45. Great performance same brass but ammo is expensive and hard to find so better you need to reload.
The list goes on with endless options from big bore Beowolf, socom, 50AE, etc... to WSSMs and even shotgun for the AR15 but
you have to think what are you going to do. Even if you are going to hunt makes sense to have a regular 5.56 carbine and then a nice upper for hunting that you will be shooting maybe less.

The zastava PAP are great carbines. The Yugoslavian always had good steel and it is very reliable like any AK. The issue is that it is single stack so you are restricted to the 10 rounders. It can be converted to double stack but you have to send it in therefore offsetting the original attractiveness in the price.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
now I'm just more confused, not looking to hunt with it, just a range plinker, or a SHTF turret gun

·
Registered
451 Posts
s*** hit the fan lol

for the op. if you have no interest in hunting, id just get a 5.56/.223 and go from there. maybe even a 5.45x39.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I know what you mean lol. .. but not sure what SHTF turrent gun means for the op.
Initially std. 5.56 is a better option.... ... 5.45 has limited value maybe plikin only is no the menu.
Something like a simple delton, spikes, stag, rra, colt, etc.. upper should manage well.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
7.62 x39 great upper. for those who like to shoot steel spend a bit more and get a good quality one with a strong bolt. Those Model 1 and similar brake more often than one can keep up with them, specially the carbines. Too much bolt thrust and of top a lot of out of tune DIY builds.
The round is great for popping pigs and deer at the moderate ranges. It has a little more bite than the blackout and can also shoot subsonic although finding a subsonic barrel with the right twist is tricky and unlike the blackout with the .308 bore, the russian bullet selection is somehow limited. But there are some good 125 and 150 grainers that are great for hunting and winchester has some good hunting soft point loads too.
The drop on this one like the blackout is considerable so at 200-250 yards your are done and the bullet drops straight to the ground. Maybe 300 some coyotes or something. In the end an all go around workhorse for the average hunting range, plinking and whatever. With a good bolt, extractor and quality treated barrel one can enjoy the steel value pack deals for a long time as the chamber is perfect for that steel, just made for each other like Romeo and Juliet. lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts