New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying a AR-15 style pistol, basically a AR-15 with no stock and shorter barrel. Are they legal to own in NYS? I have a concealed carry permit. They look like they would be pretty fun to shoot.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I wouldnt mind having one either!Just alot of confusion on what lowers to get in NY,in PA get a stripped lower and its suppose to be marked other (not pistol or rifle).So you can build it either way,here in NY no-one seems to know how that works?Maybe buy a lower that states pistol...

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Almost 100% illegal.

The Bushmaster carbon 15 is the only one I know of that doesn't violate the weight limit, and even then the hand guard has to come off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So as long as they are with in a certain weight limit one can own one. If i understand correctly. What is the weight allowed by NYS law?

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
isnt it 50oz unloaded.

but thats 50oz ...manufactured weight....

so what stops a person from adding a light/laser to it and going over the weight limit...?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
From the FAQ:

To be an assault weapon and therefore illegal in NY state, the pistol must be:
1. Semiautomatic
2. Manufactured after September 14, 1994
3. Has two or more of the following:
  • A magazine that attaches outside of the pistol grip
  • A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer
  • A barrel shroud
  • A weight of more than 50 ounces

·
Registered
764 Posts
I wouldnt mind having one either!Just alot of confusion on what lowers to get in NY,in PA get a stripped lower and its suppose to be marked other (not pistol or rifle).So you can build it either way,here in NY no-one seems to know how that works?Maybe buy a lower that states pistol...
It does not matter how the lower is marked, it only needs to be listed as a receiver only on the 4473. At this point it can be built into anything (legaly) you want. Go to your licensing agency and see what you need to do to add it to your permit. Get it added and then proceed with your build. In order to build legally a pistol it can never have first be made into a long gun.

It is difficult to keep under the 50oz requirement with aluminum lower/uppper. It can be achieved with a composite set. The Carbon15 is not your only option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts