New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my lower is already in my permit so what will make it legal? Do I only need a pistol brace and fixed mag? Or do I need something else

·
Registered
131 Posts
A fixed mag. Not sure about the brace, as I believe they’re are counties upstate that don’t permit them and want to,classify them as SBR’s. So be careful, just because the lower is “on your permit” make sure you’ve read the fine print. Good Luck, Good Shooting.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A fixed mag. Not sure about the brace, as I believe they’re are counties upstate that don’t permit them and want to,classify them as SBR’s. So be careful, just because the lower is “on your permit” make sure you’ve read the fine print. Good Luck, Good Shooting.
I went to the shop. They say pistol brace not stock and fixed mag. Also there are a couple other little things they threw in there too of course. It’s beginning to be more work then fun. Maybe I should just turn it back into a full rifle. I mean if that’s allowed

·
Registered
131 Posts
I went to the shop. They say pistol brace not stock and fixed mag. Also there are a couple other little things they threw in there too of course. It’s beginning to be more work then fun. Maybe I should just turn it back into a full rifle. I mean if that’s allowed
Better yet, move over the border to PA and have what you want, including standard and Hi Cap mags.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My gun shop in seneca county said it was ok! He pinned mag and had me hand in paperwork. The pinned mag classifies it as a fixed mag not a detachable therefore it's not a assault weapon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My gun shop in seneca county said it was ok! He pinned mag and had me hand in paperwork. The pinned mag classifies it as a fixed mag not a detachable therefore it's not a assault weapon.
That’s what I was told fixed mag and pistol brace. Also someone mentioned that the mag couldn’t stick out further than the grip. I was actually trying to sell mine on another forum website and I got banned because they said it was illegal even though I said it had a mag lock and also we had to go to ffl to transfer. That’s why I was trying to make sure I wasn’t doing anything wrong lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
First off, Its NOT an assault weapon, it is a semi-automatic rifle or pistol. As you well know, the A is for Armalite the original design/manufacturer and the R is for Rifle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok so my lower is already in my permit so what will make it legal? Do I only need a pistol brace and fixed mag? Or do I need something else
If it's on your permit, follow state law, but long story short, pinned mag and a pistol buffer tube or brace is legal. Keep in mind min/max length of the pistol as well....
I am currently building a lower I have on my permit, I spoke with State police Sergeant of firearms division, he said as a pistol its screwed up because technically a pistol has a mag in the grip, but as far as "assault weapon" if it's a single shot, it does not have to conform to the safe act and you can have any feature on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it's on your permit, follow state law, but long story short, pinned mag and a pistol buffer tube or brace is legal. Keep in mind min/max length of the pistol as well....
I am currently building a lower I have on my permit, I spoke with State police Sergeant of firearms division, he said as a pistol its screwed up because technically a pistol has a mag in the grip, but as far as "assault weapon" if it's a single shot, it does not have to conform to the safe act and you can have any feature on it.
Thanks man. With all these rules changing every other day might as well just walk around with the lower in a holster hahhahhah

·
Registered
131 Posts
you can have both in catt county and stay in NY since PA isnt much better atm for gun rights
I will have to agree to disagree. Can you, if not exempt, have a AR rifle or pistol with all the EVILNESS? Own suppressors for those firearms? Own NFA permissible firearms, with proper paperwork, to include SBR’s, full auto etc? I think not.

Also, if upstate NY, can you waltz into your local sheriff’s office or courthouse fill out a license application for a handgun permit (LTCF in PA) pay 20 bucks and have it in under 45 days and in some county’s immediately, without fingerprints and a plethora of meaningless paperwork? Oh, and in some county’s, its on-line.

Granted, NYS is not NYC, so in that case, yes, its a bit less restrictive…wouldn’t you agree?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts