New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to build an AR pistol, provided such a thing is legal in NY state. If so, what kind of process would I have to go through to make sure I'm not breaking any laws? Do I just need a standard pistol permit or is there some other kind of license involved? Any info on this subject would be a great help!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
To the best of my knowledge it can not be done. You can buy a preban ar pistol, but not make one. Even if it is a preban lower.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
It violates the AWB due to it's weight. The only way to do it is buy a polymer lower and no handguard.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
-Preban lower that was never transferred as a rifle. Look to spend about $850 on one.
-Bushmaster Carbon Type 97 postban or the one it was bought out from (Forget the company)
-That swiss cheesed Olympic postban

...that's your options.

·
Registered
764 Posts
To the best of my knowledge it can not be done. You can buy a preban ar pistol, but not make one. Even if it is a preban lower.
WRONG

It violates the AWB due to it's weight. The only way to do it is buy a polymer lower and no handguard.
TRUE

It can be done as long as you play by their rules. Poly upper and lower comes in just shy of 50oz without skeletonizing anything. Buy a stripped poly lower, talk to you issuing office about building a pistol on a bare frame and get it on your permit. Then build as you want while abiding by the law (see pistol AWB post)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts