New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know any companies who sell 556 NATO AR barrels that aren't drilled for the gas port?

The idea would be to use this to make a straight pull AR bolt gun upper.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Just plugging the Gas block should be enough. I inserted a pin the same size as the gas tube n he top f e as lock and blocked the bottom of the gas block port with a screw. no mod to the barrel. I could have just filled the gas tube port with epoxy I think.

·
Registered
367 Posts
You could also use a 9mm upper, with no gas tube hole if you REALLY wanted to over think things.

·
Registered
91 Posts
get an adjustable gas block and crank it shut

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
If you are going to do that you have several options aside from looking into a bolt action that uses AR magazines.
But if you tap the barrel and put a screw with a spot weld it will be a lot more economical
than ordering a custom barrel w/o port.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I would just buy the barrel I wanted and weld the hole shut. A two second hit from a welder would close it right up.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
If you put a clamp on gas block backwards will cover and seal the barrel port.
But is that considered permanent enough?
That's what I suggested a small tap.

·
Registered
484 Posts
There are two things in play here. First the law. It does not say anywhere that it needs to be permanant. Second, the FFL. If you ask an FFL to risk his carrer and jail for $25.00. It better pass the "sniff" test. I can't speak for other FFLs, but just removing the gas tube would not pass mine.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
been trying to wrap my head around why one would even want to do this.Please enlighten me.

Cant see why anyone would want to turn a semi auto into a bolt action,especially a AR platform.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
been trying to wrap my head around why one would even want to do this.Please enlighten me.

Cant see why anyone would want to turn a semi auto into a bolt action,especially a AR platform.
A bolt AR is not an assault weapon. It requires no registration and when the time comes can be restored back to its full function. The whole point is to get around the law, as the law is stupid. No modification to a barrel or gas tube can be permenant because it only takes 5 minutes to change a barrel (if you are slow at it). But a modification ( that requires more than a turn of the knob to restore it) that makes it a non semi-auto will make it a legal SAFE compliant and the Anti Gunners can still have a hissy fit when they see the scary black gun.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I bet if you just had a gas block and blocked off the port and epoxied it on so it would be a pita to get off it would pass...

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Ok,ill go with that.But i am willing to bet they will not go for it .Some idiot with all the answers is gonna say that the barrel is not permanent and can be changed back to a regular barrel to make it a full function AR again.The problem with the whole stupid ass law is .nothing is permanent ,anything can be changed back and its only gonna take some young turd, trying to make a name for themselves ,to prove us wrong.Only the courts can make a AR legal again .

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Ok,ill go with that.But i am willing to bet they will not go for it .Some idiot with all the answers is gonna say that the barrel is not permanent and can be changed back to a regular barrel to make it a full function AR again.The problem with the whole stupid ass law is .nothing is permanent ,anything can be changed back and its only gonna take some young turd, trying to make a name for themselves ,to prove us wrong.Only the courts can make a AR legal again .
All you have to do is switch uppers, so the law doesn't make sense at all. But hey this is NY where the sheep elect crooks to steal their money and tell them they are too stupid to enjoy freedom.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Wouldn't the bolt have to be locked in place some how to be a true bolt action. If you elimanate the gas system would the bolt partially blow back from recoil ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts