New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you wonder how long it takes for a DI AR-15 to reach the point of failure I found this video below.

Most steel starts glowing at 1200-1400 deg.F. depending on the metallurgic composition in the parts. Melting will not happen before failure. The burrel is considered "burned" well before that point. Sometimes it doesn't take many magazines to "achieve" that depending on how one is shooting. Sometimes is requied for a soldier to have 3 to 4 barrel changes in a single tour. In any case I would be more concerned about receiver and bolt/group failure before the barrel fails. Do not try this at home.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Yeah, the gas tube here goes first, but I can't think of any situation where someone's going to be burning through that many rounds that fast in the real world. In the real world, there's going to be a little more time between magazines, so the light little gas tube is going to have more time to cool off, which it should be able to do relatively quickly, even more so with free floating handguards getting the reflective shields out of there.

·
Registered
859 Posts
The gas tube did go first. Notice how at the end it is single shot?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Holy cow if you shoot that many rounds before the enemy is eliminated you are doing something wrong

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found these other videos...

Here a nice AR with a piston designed for sustained fire.... 450 rounds non stop...

Here some other aK guy that likes grilling too while shooting at the invisible man...

·
Registered
129 Posts
During our first tour in Iraq, a few of us decided to have a little fun during some r&r... Turns out that if you strand 500 rounds of tracer together and let all hell break loose via a saw(M249), your 1SG won't find it amusing! My paycheck didn't either as we were made to pay for our stupidity, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat hahaha!

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
During our first tour in Iraq, a few of us decided to have a little fun during some r&r... Turns out that if you strand 500 rounds of tracer together and let all hell break loose via a saw(M249), your 1SG won't find it amusing! My paycheck didn't either as we were made to pay for our stupidity, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat hahaha!
There is nothing like early 4th of July fireworks! lol.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I can honestly say that it was the most terrifying/amusing event while over there. We didn't actually make it through all 500 as the gun began to slow its rate of fire, followed by it finally seizing up and cooking off the round in the chamber. It was so hot that we couldn't even unload it as it seemed almost like it was welded to itself. Seeing a constant red line of bullets was amazing though! Not to mention we were firing at a car that was left behind and rounds were ricocheting all over. None ever came back at us though thank God hahaha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts