New York Firearms Forum banner

AR-15 Category

1K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  GunSpec 
#1 ·
We figured we would start with our new AR-15 category and see if anyone had any questions, comments, or suggestions. We are continuously adding products and suppliers to our inventory so feel free to check back periodically. Don't see a category or search filter? We'll work on getting one implemented.

#2 ·
Hi,
I could not find any 6.8SPC ammunition.
Also it would be nice to find a reasonably priced source because at $19-$22 for regular ammo is going to pretty quickly kill this
otherwise great caliber. You would have many people interested if an good alternative was found.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

#3 ·
Meketrefe you'll have to forgive some of GunSpec's development nuances, we do have 6.8 listed under the ammo caliber category. For some reason we're dealing with a bug and some of the calibers are not in order. You'll find 6.8 as you get to the bottom of the list. You can also get to it here. Also, don't forget you can use the keyword search if you ever have issues finding anything for the time being.

There is only one supplier listed right now which is sold out - Cabela's SSA Ammo for $16.88. I will aggregate and search more 6.8 SPC listings up there before the end of the week for you.

#5 ·
I was checking out your AR10's and seen the ARMALITE 10A4CBF 308 for $1,742.00...Then seen this at Armalite's website 10A4CBF Your Price: $1,557.00...Are you/they actually selling them more than the listed MSRP,or does that scope pictured come with it?

#6 ·
Hi Jetster,

We don't actually sell any of the products on the site - we just represent what a retailer may have available and what information they have on hand. This particular dealer is also based in NY and called RG Guns NY. They were one of our test companies that have a small selection of products listed for free on GunSpec. My guess is that it does include glass, although I'm not sure.

Sometimes we are at the mercy of stock photos and descriptions that may be lacking so it will be up to you to make sure you verify what that price includes with the dealer. We try to keep to the basics for now such as caliber, barrel length, finish, etc. which we know that type of information will be consistent. Since it's priced above MSRP, I would hope it does come with the a scope! Sometimes peope add on to products without editing the description as well.

#7 ·
No problem if for any reason I forget, please don't hesitate to nag me!

As for stock on hand - this going to be in the works in the near future but I don't have an ETA yet. The biggest challenge is that there are so many different companies small and large, all having disparate product data and information. Trying to corral all the information into one searchable shopping engine is extremely challenging. The strategy is to start with the common denominators between stores and work from there. Some retailers are so small they have no inventory system, others like Cheaper Than Dirt are more real time inventory, while others work with an intermediary to get their products listed and only update them once in a blue moon.

Realtime inventory is a priority, its really a matter of figuring out how to approach it. Hope this helps!

#8 ·
I would also add for companies like Amazon or Cheaperthandirt - sometimes not only is there inventory in real time ... but so is there pricing! Amazon is definitely big on changing their prices every 10 minutes. It drives me nuts. If I had to guess, I would say at any one time we currently have 10-15% or so error listings, dead links, or out of stock updates.

#9 · (Edited)
Um, so let me see if I got this straight so far.

You don't actually sell the product listed, you're just aggregating them;
You have more products than shown but its up to the user to do a keyword search to find them;
Pictures may or may not represent product for sale;
At any time 10 - 15 percent of inventory or pricing may be wrong.

So how does this help us? I'm really not trying to throw stones here but from this short thread it looks like you've got a lot of work to do on the basic business model. Am I missing something?

#11 ·
No worries - to answer your questions:

- We don't actually sell the products, we are a shopping comparison engine (still getting started). We work off both affiliate and direct advertising models.

- In an effort to get more products listed for users we mass imported about a 2000 or so last week from different companies. They don't have specifications set for them yet to search (ex caliber, barrel length, etc). These specifications are typically not offered by retailers as part of the data we receive from them so we have to go in and set this. We don't actually aggregate results like a crawler, it's really more of product data feeds.

- It's a rarity if the picture does not represent the product itself. However, sometimes online dealers use stock pictures from the manufacturer even if they are selling the same model but different configuration ... sometimes they have disclaimers warning you it is a stock photo or "not the exact product".

- We are nearing 10,000 products with more to come. 10-15% is an estimate. I can't begin to tell you how many bad links suppliers and data feeds sometimes have this happens in traditional shopping comparison sites as well, although they are big enough and have enough backing to get a handle on it. Some have stock numbers some don't. Brownells will have stock numbers while "Joes Online Gunshop" for example won't have much to work with except description, title, price, etc. Until we hammer out the inventory, the best we can do is eliminate as many out of stock as possible - however you also never know when it may be in stock. Sometimes it's listed as out of stock for only a week. No matter what, the supplier still wants you to come to his site.

As for the model, in the shopping comparison world (which I'm trying our best to modify for the gun industry) they run off several models. The reason for this is to accomodate different sized retailers. Some may use Pay Per Click (we are working on this), others just use fixed price listings, while others may use pay per sale, and some may just use impressions of products). They really have a number of ways to accommodate different sized businesses.

To start with we have affiliate listings and fixed listings. Fixed listings is just a yearly subscriber fee based on the number of products a supplier wants to add. Each listing plan includes featured listings which help display rank toward the top of a search. Even if they have 250 products, but only want to add 25 of their top sellers, there is a plan for that.

It's kind of chicken before the egg - you're not going to have people coming to the site if there is not enough product. Alternatively no one is going to advertise with you directly (yet) if you don't have the traffic to justify it. Hence we have to start somewhere. We've already seen revenue from affiliate sales (a small start). As we add more product, gain more traffic, we'll be able to offer alternatives besides fixed price listings. Regardless, we're open to ideas.

#15 ·
meketrefe - here is a list of recent 6.8SPC ammo available. More to come. It includes listings within the price points you mentioned. These are raw listings, and still need to be setup to be "spec" searchable (ex. search by grain or bullet characteristics). They are keyword searchable for the moment. I did find some prices around $16-$17 but many were out of stock. I'll keep an eye out for them once they are available. Let me know if you have any questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.