New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In currently in the process of applying for my pistol permit in Broome county. Any heads ups or tips? I am trying to apply for a concealed carry, is Broome county good at allowing this to go through? Since I'm in the military do I need to take a class still? Not terribly familiar with Broome county as I am new here.

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I guess apply for concealed, they will probably issue a limited permit, then take class and upgrade to concealed.
Where do you take the class and how much?

Pretty stupid I can carry a machine gun across Afghanistan and get my foot ****ed up by an IED but I can't be trusted without a special class in mmy own backyard.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I took the class prior to submitting my application. When I did submit I just turned in the certificate from the class with a letter to the judge explaining my reasoning for applying for the unrestricted permit. I received my unrestricted permit from the judge without issue. I took what may have been the only class that did not involve live fire.

My experience with the Broome County Sheriffs office was good. They were curtious and always got me in and out in a timely manner. The guy at the desk when you walk in is a bit nasty but has nothing to do with your permit application. Just follow the directions and you should not have an issue. Shortly after I applied they began offering the applications on line. When I went to get one (early Feb, 2013) they were out. I contacted the Broome County Executive about this and had a response within a day. A week or two later I had an application arrive in the mail. Shortly after the web version was up.

If you are interested in the class just PM me. Out of respect of forum sponsers I do not post business names that do not sponser for all to see. If they want that bennifet they can sponser the forum.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My father in law actually asked him if he was in the right place to get a permit for his pressure cooker. The joke, while in bad humor, really pissed in his weaties. My father in law isn't really good with tact. Fortunately he has no power there. When I was waiting in the loby once I watched him interact with Harder. He acted the same way to him. I guess it made me feel better that he is just that way to everyone and not just those applying for permits. All in all I don't have a bad thing to say about our Sheriff's Office.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Good to hear, thanks for the update!
Also had a friend get CCW in Tioga without a class or ever having a permit previously. Things may have changed since then. I was very surprised on all of these. I've got 30 years competitive shooting experience, teaching, range safety officer, etc and was told no go without a class. Oh well...RPD put on a good class.

·
Registered
77 Posts
All NYS pistol permits are for concealed carry. What you will get in Broome is a restricted permit which will allow you to purchase and posses handguns, and carry them concealed while hunting and target shooting. Judge Cawley generally requires permit holders to take an approved course (he has approved several), and submit a letter asking why you want your restrictions removed. The instructors at the course often will give advice on how to draft that letter.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Also had a friend get CCW in Tioga without a class or ever having a permit previously. Things may have changed since then. I was very surprised on all of these. I've got 30 years competitive shooting experience, teaching, range safety officer, etc and was told no go without a class. Oh well...RPD put on a good class.
My uncle has a very similar bio, he was more than peeved at having to take the class. I'm really pleased to hear that they're issuing them with far more ease, if you've been around the area long enough, I'm sure you're aware how difficult it once was.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Egodfrey:

After you get the restricted one, call me. We are the ones that do 85-90% of the full carry training for Broome and a lot of other counties. We can walk you right through the process and get you up and running.

Dave

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yea its pretty sweet land, mostly woods, theres a large field but its next to the road so i dont think shooting in it is the best idea. But its loaded with trails, I dont own the land, I rent the house and the landlord gives me full access to the land, all he asks is that i treat it with respect. Me and him are both big hunters so its closed to any other activity during that season.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The biggest purpose of the class is to teach NYS Penal 35, which is justification on us of deadly force. I suspect that Judge Cawley would still issue an active service member a restricted permit an require the class.... but it's worth a shot.

Just remember when requesting; the RESTRICTED permit is the same permit to carry concealed as Unrestricted permit, so you'd be requesting that your permit be issued without restrictions.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Turned in my application Friday, applied for unrestricted but signed both in case twy won't issue the unrestricted, the lady in the office said the judge might issue me unrestricted based on my military. He may just want too meet with me, or then again he may still restrict it.

Was told 2-4 months

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.