New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am applying for my permit in Westchester county. I am compiling a list of all the paperwork and supporting paperwork I need (so far the list has hit double digits). I see there are all sorts of strange "ammendments" that only Westchester has. I have forms for "Sport Hunting", "Sport Target Shooting" and "Sportsperson" (the Sportsperson form is not listed on their website, but I found it). My questions are

a)Do I need to apply for ammendments with the permit application.
b) Can I even apply for ammendments with my first permit application or do I have to wait until its approved and then wait again?
C) can I even take my shiny new pistol to the range without a "Sport Target Shooting" amendment?

Y'all seem to know your permits so I hope you can help me. I am also meeting with the person helping me with all the various paperwork tomorrow so hopefully she can explain some of this insanity to me.

Edit: It seems that all of the these "ammendments" may relate only to the Carry Concealed liscence type. Is there any point at all in applying for that type of licence initially or should I wait and apply to have the type changed later? As far as I can tell, except for one tiny note on page 12 none of this stuff is referenced ANYWHERE in the 34 PAGE LONG handbook they ask that you read before applying

·
Registered
295 Posts
So I am applying for my permit in Westchester county. I am compiling a list of all the paperwork and supporting paperwork I need (so far the list has hit double digits). I see there are all sorts of strange "ammendments" that only Westchester has. I have forms for "Sport Hunting", "Sport Target Shooting" and "Sportsperson" (the Sportsperson form is not listed on their website, but I found it). My questions are

a)Do I need to apply for ammendments with the permit application.
b) Can I even apply for ammendments with my first permit application or do I have to wait until its approved and then wait again?
C) can I even take my shiny new pistol to the range without a "Sport Target Shooting" amendment?

Y'all seem to know your permits so I hope you can help me. I am also meeting with the person helping me with all the various paperwork tomorrow so hopefully she can explain some of this insanity to me.

Edit: It seems that all of the these "ammendments" may relate only to the Carry Concealed liscence type. Is there any point at all in applying for that type of licence initially or should I wait and apply to have the type changed later? As far as I can tell, except for one tiny note on page 12 none of this stuff is referenced ANYWHERE in the 34 PAGE LONG handbook they ask that you read before applying
If you look in the handbook it lists the various types of permits. Based on your questions, you are going to apply for a Concealed Carry permit and Westchester will impose the restriction you request if it is approved. You have to file the amendment form requesting (and justifying) the specific restriction at the same time you file the application. Unless you are a hunter with a hunting license I suggest to apply for a target restriction. Your proper cause justification would be that you want to be able to go to a range in order to pursue your interest in target shooting and that you will pursue ongoing training and education in the safe and responsible use of firearms.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Do not apply for Full Carry, unless you are active Law Enforcement they will not give it to and deny your application on the spot. Meaning you will have to start from scratch. I will try to answer these questions the best way possible.

A.) Yes technically you need to have a pistol purchased at the time of your fingerprints/interview in Westchester I believe this is the step where you physically hand in all your paperwork. Any local gun store will know the deal about how you have to buy a gun to have on your permit. As far as what to buy as a first handgun that is another thread. They will either have you put a non-refundable deposit on the gun or more likely pay for it in full to avoid getting burned. Take the paperwork they give you to your appointment to have it added.
B.) When you receive your permit you will also get what is referred to as a Coupon or Amendment which is handed over to the Gun Store you bought your handgun from. They will need this and your permit in order to start the process of turning over the gun. You will also notice on your new permit that it has the Firearms Make, Model, Caliber and Serial # on the back. Everytime you go to purchase a handgun you need to go through the Amendment process, but I will cover that at the end.
C.) The basic "Target" restricted permit will allow you to take your handgun to ranges or other places you are legally able to shoot or bring your gun in for work like a gun store etc. I would apply for this type of permit because they will give it to you without any problems. With Latimer in office the permit process is starting to get messed up again. You can always upgrade your permit to Sportsperson and Buisness Carry later on and are more likely to get it with experience and classes under your belt.

Usually any gun store that teaches the basic safety class should be able to guide you through this easily. The paperwork and wording can be intimidating at first, but we have all been there.

Lastly Amendments apply to all levels and counties of NYS Pistol Permits. An amendment is a change in the permits restrictions or adding/removing a firearm to a permit, mostly adding/removing. When you purchase another handgun they will give you a receipt with the gun info just like the first time you will then need to bring it or mail it in to the permits division in White Plains. I highly suggest going in person. You fill out a basic form and in about 2-4 weeks they will call you to say your permit amendments are ready. They then give you a new permit ID card updated with the guns added along with a coupon to bring to the store ( just like the first time ) and of course hit you for $3 to pay for the card. That is the amendment process in a nutshell

1 - 3 of 3 Posts