New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm going to start the process when I get paid next Friday. I've been trying to read up on it, but there's a lot of ambiguity regarding it. First off, can I write a check to the Commissioner of Finance? Or does it have to be some other process? Also, can I get my character reference sheets done before the fingerprinting? What's the whole process?

·
Registered
315 Posts
First thing you have to do is go pick up the packet from the clerk- you can pay for the initial application in cash or check - that part is not that expensive. The packet will then have all the instruction with the exact amount you need to pay and get a money order. If memory serves me correct- you bring the money order and the initial application to the sheriff for fingerprinting and from there I think you get the character reference sheets. I could be wrong- you may get the character reference sheets with the initial packet. After you take the class and get a certificate, take all the notarized references and drop it off at the sheriffs and then hurry up and wait. When you get interviewed- make sure you have a co-worker or manager easily reachable to verify that you work where you work.

tdpark

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing you have to do is go pick up the packet from the clerk- you can pay for the initial application in cash or check - that part is not that expensive. The packet will then have all the instruction with the exact amount you need to pay and get a money order. If memory serves me correct- you bring the money order and the initial application to the sheriff for fingerprinting and from there I think you get the character reference sheets. I could be wrong- you may get the character reference sheets with the initial packet. After you take the class and get a certificate, take all the notarized references and drop it off at the sheriffs and then hurry up and wait. When you get interviewed- make sure you have a co-worker or manager easily reachable to verify that you work where you work.

tdpark
The initial packet is free now. I was able to print it from their site. The fingerprint fee is now $101.50. I didn't know that about having a manager easily available. I work nights though. Would that be an issue?

·
Registered
315 Posts
just have the cell phone # of a buddy that can vouch for you- depends on when you have the interview. I had my interview at 6:30 and had a rough time getting a co-worker to vouch for me.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just have the cell phone # of a buddy that can vouch for you- depends on when you have the interview. I had my interview at 6:30 and had a rough time getting a co-worker to vouch for me.
Hmm. I only just got this job, and it's public sector. I don't know if I can trust anyone with this yet...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I do not believe the Sheriff Investigator even called my place of employment. I was wearing utility worker logo "uniform" and had my RFID with picture on me though. I work rotating shifts and was not able to find anyone that had talked to an investigator. Honestly, he acted as if the investigation, after finding a clean rap sheet, was a formality. A deputy did stop by the house when I was out. I just emailed the department with the date and approx time they had come. Nothing more came of it. Altogether, from the day I was printed it took 8 weeks. But I had my packet done in a couple of days as I had the class scheduled already.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good! I was talking to a guy at the LGS I want to buy my pistol at. He told me I have to buy the gun or put it on layaway before doing anything? Also, the handgun I want is a Sig Sauer P227. Everything about it seems perfect. As I understand it, is this the process?

Buy/Put gun on layaway
Take safety course
Get fingerprinted
Submit documents
Wait for interview
Have interview
Pick up gun if all goes well?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I heard now you have to take course before they even schedule for finger prints which could be quite a wait. The Sheriff's office in OC are good folks. Give them a call.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Good! I was talking to a guy at the LGS I want to buy my pistol at. He told me I have to buy the gun or put it on layaway before doing anything? Also, the handgun I want is a Sig Sauer P227. Everything about it seems perfect. As I understand it, is this the process?

Buy/Put gun on layaway
Take safety course
Get fingerprinted
Submit documents
Wait for interview
Have interview
Pick up gun if all goes well?
You make it sound so easy ...... take it from someone in the middle of the process, it is not that simple.
You should check out OCShooters.com you can find almost all the info you need.

Just a couple of points -
-You will need to pay the $10 for the 6 pieces of photocopied paper that constitute the application form. If you don't you will be charged the $10 when you drop off your paperwork with the sheriff.
-All the reference forms need to be notorized. (This a major PIA )
-Your application also needs to be notorized.
-You need copies of several "utility" bills in your name. If your like me all my bills are paid on line and most of them just happen to be in my wife's name, so now I need a letter from my wife saying that we live together - and that needs to be notorized.

Other than that, do not expect this to be a quick process
-I submitted paperwork and had to wait 7 weeks for a Sheriff interview and another 12 weeks and still no permit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts