New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told to check out the Federal Jobs available in my area and one caught my interest so I am going to apply.

Its a VA job, doing maintenance on equipment. I have some military experience in that field a hundred years ago.

I'm digging out my discharge paperwork and also requesting that my records be upgraded to reflect the Kuwait Liberation medal that I'm entitled to ( worth extra points as well).

I need to fill out the resume section but how "creative" can I be?

I've heard " Tell them you're an expert" to "don't exaggerate"

Anyone with experience applying for these type of jobs?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Basically when applying for federal job your application will be reviewed alongside a checklist. The vacancy announcement will list job requirements and duties, address your answers accordingly so the reviewer can give you the highest score.

You'll probably be competing for the job along with other applicants so when noting experience be specific. For example only:

If you completed an electrical course (1 point)

If you completed the course, have some hands on experience and diagnostic experience (2 points)

If you completed the course, did the jobs for years, trained and supervised others, ordered parts, without supervision (3 points)

etc

The term is to "expound" on the truth..but be ready to back it up during any interview or background check.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Always either select expert or the one right below it. Anything else and you won't qualify because everyone else did select expert. I am currently in the federal system and it was a pain in the butt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts