New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just signed-up to work the shoot on April 26/27 2014, (as IIT) The line should fill-up fast the Saratoga shoot is always full! This is something I really enjoy Volunteering my time for helping new and maybe not so new shooters!! And the History of the battles of Lexington and Concord April 19 1775 you didn't learn this much in school!!

· Registered
9,724 Posts
I just signed-up to work the shoot on April 26/27 2014, (as IIT) The line should fill-up fast the Saratoga shoot is always full! This is something I really enjoy Volunteering my time for helping new and maybe not so new shooters!! And the History of the battles of Lexington and Concord April 19 1775 you didn't learn this much in school!!
Oh teach me master!! LOL ... seriously though. More info? Cost? Time of day? How many rds can one expect to go through during these two days? Is this a two day event or two 1 day events? Thank you for volunteering your time for this nortatoga. Really .... this is a great program and I'd like to attend along with my Daughter.

· Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh teach me master!! LOL ... seriously though. More info? Cost? Time of day? How many rds can one expect to go through during these two days? Is this a two day event or two 1 day events? Thank you for volunteering your time for this nortatoga. Really .... this is a great program and I'd like to attend along with my Daughter.
Most of your questions can be found on the Appleseed link!

· Registered
2,650 Posts
Cost depends, this year it looks like $60 for adult, $20 under 18 for two days. Some people like LEO, active military and elected officials are free. Range fees if you are not a SaraSpa member are $5/day per person.

Time is usually around 8:30am to maybe 5pm or so on Sat, Sunday ends a bit earlier IIRC.

The shoot is two days, but in the past you could attend just one day (not sure if that is an option this year). Saturday is usually a bit heavier on instruction, Sunday a bit more shooting but that can change based on things like how the weather is looking.

I would plan on about 400 rounds per person for the two days. The best setup for a first timer is a mag feed semi auto preferably in 22lr with a USGI type sling and either a scope or aperture sights. If you do not often shoot prone with a scope, you may want to try it out - you may find you want to move your scope farther forward compared to sitting/standing. Mag feed bolts work also, they just require a bit more work. I would not recommend a tube feed gun, although they are allowed. Tubes have to load in a process that can slow the entire firing line down a bit.

By all means bring your daughter. At least some of the shooters will be women or girls, and often one or more of the instructors are women also (or possibly even a girl - meaning a minor).

More info at Project Appleseed Home

· Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Cost depends, this year it looks like $60 for adult, $20 under 18 for two days. Some people like LEO, active military and elected officials are free. Range fees if you are not a SaraSpa member are $5/day per person.

Time is usually around 8:30am to maybe 5pm or so on Sat, Sunday ends a bit earlier IIRC.

The shoot is two days, but in the past you could attend just one day (not sure if that is an option this year). Saturday is usually a bit heavier on instruction, Sunday a bit more shooting but that can change based on things like how the weather is looking.

I would plan on about 400 rounds per person for the two days. The best setup for a first timer is a mag feed semi auto preferably in 22lr with a USGI type sling and either a scope or aperture sights. If you do not often shoot prone with a scope, you may want to try it out - you may find you want to move your scope farther forward compared to sitting/standing. Mag feed bolts work also, they just require a bit more work. I would not recommend a tube feed gun, although they are allowed. Tubes have to load in a process that can slow the entire firing line down a bit.

By all means bring your daughter. At least some of the shooters will be women or girls, and often one or more of the instructors are women also (or possibly even a girl - meaning a minor).

More info at Project Appleseed Home
I couldn't have said it better, you have been to an Appleseed at Sara Spa is my guess?

· Registered
4,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just an update on Appleseed at Sara Spa, I talked to Smurf (Shoot Boss) last night we are planning on moving the target line in and shooting from under cover on the 50 yard range cement slab. Checked the what to bring thread on the Appleseed site it said 2 10rd magazine's you should have 4 and a 5th wouldn't hurt as a spare, The USGI type sling as mentioned above will work the best, but any adjustable sling will be a big plus(there not just for carrying you rifle) A mat and elbow pads (not the hard plastic kind they tend to roll) knee pads as well, Eye and Ear protection, A hooded sweat shirt (Hot Brass) And we are looking at shooting about 400 rds shot for the 2 days! The most important thing to bring is A teachable attitude!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.