New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard this when it was broadcast on the radio, and was thinking "how can this be so well hidden from the public?" It will surprise only people, that have their head completely up their ass, that Obama does not like guns, but to hear someone who knew him say the guy didn't think anyone had a right to own a gun is outright disturbing:

Apparently, Obama Doesn’t Think You Should Own A Gun…
Posted by: MacAoidh on Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 9:46

Barack Obama …or at least when he was a “law professor” (adjunct instructor) at the University of Chicago he didn’t.
WorldNet Daily has an interesting allegation from one of our current president’s former colleagues…
A fellow professor with Barack Obama at the University of Chicago in the 1990s told radio host Laura Ingraham last week that the man who would become president once insisted, “People shouldn’t be allowed to own guns.”
That professor was John Lott, already known then as a leading gun-rights advocate and now author of several books, including “More Guns, Less Crime” and“Freedomnomics: Why the Free Market Works and Other Half-Baked Theories Don’t.”
“I knew Obama at the University of Chicago,” Lott told Ingraham. “We both taught there at the same time for about four years, and I talked to him about guns. I know what his views are on that.
“The first time I ever met him, I went, introduced myself, he said, ‘Oh, you’re the gun guy,’” Lott recalled. “He said to me, ‘I don’t believe people should be able to own guns.’”
Ingraham stopped the interview to clarify that Obama wasn’t talking about criminals owning guns but everyday citizens.
“No, it was very clear,” Lott said. “He said, ‘I don’t believe people should be able to own guns.”
Obama taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School from 1992-2004, and Lott was a visiting professor and fellow at the university from 1994-1999.
Despite Obama’s job description, Lott claims Obama stated views in bold violation of the Constitution he taught about – specifically the 2nd Amendment, which states, in part, “The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”
“This just gives people a good idea of what he really wants to have, what his ideal country would have in terms of regulations,” Lott said.
At Breitbart, there’s audio of Ingraham’s interview with Lott…

This would be an interesting revelation, and one which the public should have known about. It’s unsurprising that the New York Times didn’t think Obama’s expressed contempt for the 2nd Amendment was newsworthy back in 2008 when it was time to vet Candidate Obama, but perhaps it will gain a little more traction now.
Because it would take the kind of commitment to gun control that Lott expresses in his remembrance of Obama to explain something as wildly irresponsible as Fast and Furious or politically loopy as the UN Small Arms Treaty. No politician worth his salt outside of the lefty-dominated big cities would engage in gun-grabbing along the lines of what Obama is currently attempting.
But then it doesn’t appear Obama is worth his salt.
It’s worth mentioning that Obama’s first impulse after the Aurora shootings was to advocate for gun control, though he was told by Harry Reid that wasn’t going to happen this year and has since let the matter drop outside of pandering to the gun-grabbers at the Urban League in New Orleans last week by babbling about “AK-47′s belonging on the battlefield of war, not in our streets.” Obama’s experience as president indicates that while he’s limited by the need for re-election he’s not a mortal threat to 2nd Amendment rights.
But if he wins re-election? Lott mentions gun-grabbers on the Supreme Court as an obvious effect, but more than that are the regulatory actions infringing on the 2nd Amendment a 2nd Obama term might bring.
The 2nd Amendment hasn’t been a major issue in the 2012 campaign. But it ought to be.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I guess we are even then because I don't feel Obama should be president.....(or in this country for that matter)...........

·
Registered
712 Posts
Ten years ago I didn't really care for guns either.
Its one thing to not care for them or to own them...but to advocate against them is another.
My one son hates guns and wont shoot. Thats fine, his objective, but I said I would ( and hope you would) not deny anyone the right to own one. and I will fight for your right to HAVE THAT DECISION. he atleast agreed on that. You can not care for them, but atleast people should have that choice.....its america!

Its all about, for me, atleast having the right to DECIDE vs decision being made for you. Now, if you dont mind, im gonna go get a 1500 oz fountain soda and shoot my battlefield ak.......LOL

·
Banned
478 Posts
Its one thing to not care for them or to own them...but to advocate against them is another.
My one son hates guns and wont shoot. Thats fine, his objective, but I said I would ( and hope you would) not deny anyone the right to own one. and I will fight for your right to HAVE THAT DECISION. he atleast agreed on that. You can not care for them, but atleast people should have that choice.....its america!

Its all about, for me, atleast having the right to DECIDE vs decision being made for you. Now, if you dont mind, im gonna go get a 1500 oz fountain soda and shoot my battlefield ak.......LOL
I definitely agree, and I love them now. I just wanted to point out that these quotes are 10 years old, and therefore quite outdated.

Find me a source of him saying we shouldn't own guns durring his presidency and then I'll be unimpressed. Until then this is just pre-election vote grabbing.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Lots of people don't think civilians should own guns, but whether or not they act on that thought and pass it into the Law books is another story. The checks and balances in place should stop that, even if the Pres is strongly anti-gun or 2A. I don't agree with a lot of things that people tend to do, doesn't mean we need laws in place banning that activity. Not every opinion or thought can be legislated, in fact, MOST cannot.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Banned
478 Posts
Here is the link that was requested:

http://thehayride.com/2012/07/apparently-obama-doesnt-think-you-should-own-a-gun/

If you don't think that Obama doesn't still hold this opinion on gun ownership, you are fooling yourself. Wait until after he gets re-elected. He has set a precedent of using Executive Power to bypass congress. He could go after ammo, components, etc. No doubt he'll be creative.
You do realize you just posted a link with the exact same 10 year old quotes...

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I think a lot of people shouldn't breed, but yet they do...like rabbits.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
If he believes what he says, then why doesn't he take the guns away from the secret service? They are not military, they are not police. They could protect him in other ways. Why the guns? Take them away, you hypocrite!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is your point about 10 year old quotes??? I posted the link after a google search in response to hearing the guy on the Radio about a week or so ago being interviewed by Laura. The truth is the truth and Obama has not changed his position on this? Is that what your trying to imply? That he changed his position, or never had this position?

·
Banned
478 Posts
The point being, I'm not the same person I was 10 years ago, most people aren't. I've yet to see him say anything like this during his presidency, or while he was a senator.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
He was a Constitutional law professor. He was well versed in what our constitution and 2nd Amendment means. Do you think that he changed his view? It wasn't like he was some dumb uneducated 14 year old. He was an educated adult.

·
Banned
478 Posts
I have no idea if he's changed his view, that's the point, he hasn't said a word about it his whole presidency, or when he was a senator. So digging up 10 year old quotes when he didn't know he was going to get into politics to drum up fear is just stupid.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have no idea if he's changed his view, that's the point, he hasn't said a word about it his whole presidency, or when he was a senator. So digging up 10 year old quotes when he didn't know he was going to get into politics to drum up fear is just stupid.
Thats because he knows it would be political suicide to say such things now, but i don't suppose "America needs to do some soul searching on the 2nd amendment" isn't good enough for you. Lets not forget that he has also said once reelected he would have more leeway in terms of gun control, but i guess thats too vague for you too.

·
Registered
334 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts