New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with the Apex sear in the M&P 45? I'm planning on putting in just the sear, none, of the other Apex stuff at this point. I also have a Glock 19, and I wonder how an Apex enhanced M&P trigger will compare to a stock Glock trigger. I shoot the Glock 19 way better than the M&P45.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
If you can afford it, I'd install the entire package of apex products. I got the trigger, and the DCAEK. It's like night and day. The trigger is lighter and smother than a glock, with a strong positive reset, but not so much as to break your finger like on a glock. My groups have since shrunk significantly I have used mine as a duty sidearm, and receive a perfect qual score each time. It has since become my favorite handgun (if you couldn't tell by my avitar) I also own berettas, glocks, sigs, etc and this is my favorite.

Everything is relatively intuitive and easy to install, and there are youtube videos which give good installation instructions.

I installed each product separately so I can speak on the noticeable differences between pre-and post installation. With the DCAEK (just the sear) the trigger pull was lightened and felt more consistent. WIth the striker, the grittiness disappeared, and with the Apex trigger, (along with everything else installed) there was positive reset, and a more consistent smooth straight-back trigger pull.

S&W made a great pistol but really dropped the ball on that god awful trigger. I have to say though, the worst thing about the factory trigger IMO is not having any kind of reset. Drove me absolutely crazy and made for terrible groups.

PM me if you want any more info.

·
Registered
332 Posts
SamColt87 nailed it. I have several M&P pistols, 3 of them have the APEX RAM, Hard Sear & Aluminum Trigger. My M&P 5" Pro has the complete APEX kit with the Aluminum Trigger. The APEX parts make a HUGE difference in the trigger of the gun--they run so smooth after the upgrades.

I will say that I have handled M&P's with APEX parts installed by different people (either someone did it themselves or had a shop put it in). I did feel noticeable differences between those triggers. If your not used to working on guns, I would highly recommend having someone install the parts into your gun to get the maximum benefits (for example, ATEI is well versed in installing APEX parts and he knows what he is doing). Yes, it might cost you some extra money, but if your keeping the gun forever, that's a small price to pay to have the parts working correctly as intended.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Money is an issue unfortunately, which is why I was looking at just doing the sear. It irks me to drop more money into an otherwise fine gun to have a reasonable trigger. I don't consider my stock trigger very gritty; it's just too heavy.

With the M&P45 I consistently shoot low, which I know is a sign of anticipation. I practice by mixing dummy ammo in with live ammo to work on it. I think having a better trigger would help.

When I shoot my stock G19 my poi is at poa, and at 10 yards my groups are in the 3" to 4" range centered on my poiint-of-aim. I know that's not the greatest, but I don't consider that to be bad either.

I would be happy if the M&P 45 trigger was close to the G19 stock trigger after I put the hard sear in it.

I agree that the stock S&W trigger is bad. You would think that they would make it at least the equal of the Glock trigger.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can afford it, I'd install the entire package of apex products. I got the trigger, and the DCAEK. It's like night and day. The trigger is lighter and smother than a glock, with a strong positive reset, but not so much as to break your finger like on a glock. My groups have since shrunk significantly I have used mine as a duty sidearm, and receive a perfect qual score each time. It has since become my favorite handgun (if you couldn't tell by my avitar) I also own berettas, glocks, sigs, etc and this is my favorite.

Everything is relatively intuitive and easy to install, and there are youtube videos which give good installation instructions.

I installed each product separately so I can speak on the noticeable differences between pre-and post installation. With the DCAEK (just the sear) the trigger pull was lightened and felt more consistent. WIth the striker, the grittiness disappeared, and with the Apex trigger, (along with everything else installed) there was positive reset, and a more consistent smooth straight-back trigger pull.

S&W made a great pistol but really dropped the ball on that god awful trigger. I have to say though, the worst thing about the factory trigger IMO is not having any kind of reset. Drove me absolutely crazy and made for terrible groups.

PM me if you want any more info.
Samcolt, wich caliber is your M&P?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
mine's a .45 also.

I think most of your recoil anticipation issues stem from the trigger. The problem with the factory trigger is that you can never tell where its going to break, and you don't know where the reset is. So essentially you pull the trigger each time and have no idea when it will break and probably anticipate the recoil before the shot actually breaks.

What i would do is just get the apex trigger for now. That should take care of most of the problem as I think the pivot design of the M&P doesn't lend itself to a positive break or reset. As time goes on and you can get some spare money, i'd invest in a DCAEK as well to shrink your group sizes more.

If you are handy you can also modify the sear yourself for a lighter trigger pull with less travel. If you are not handy with a dremel do NOT do this. A sear is not something you want to mess with if you do not know what you are doing.

http://www.burwellguns.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf

as for the trigger grittyness, you don't notice how gritty your trigger was until you install the apex striker plunger. Mine's smooth as butter now.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
Get the DCAEK, it's around 100$, just save more money and get it, sear alone won't make your trigger lighter. It's worth it.

·
Registered
891 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered the Apex sear on Friday and received it yesterday, and immediately installed it. It went in very easily with no problems.

I noticed a big improvement in trigger break. I'll shoot it friday night and see how it goes.

I'm very impressed with how fast Apex got the part to me, and with the quality of the sear.

I see the striker block upgrade in the future.......

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I shot it last night, and the Apex sear has transformed this gun in a very good way. Group sizes are much smaller. I can't say enough positive about Apex, they are excellent.

Now if only S&W would improve the M&P trigger so that it was decent out of the box. If I ever buy an M&P again I'll add $50 to the price in anticipation of it needing the Apex sear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts