New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mossberg 340BD target sporter 22 has a splendid set of factory original aperture sights. At the range, these sights are just as accurate as any scope on this rifle. I had success hunting squirrels with them last February with snow and no foliage.

Fast forward to September, Hemlock Ridge is covered with a dense canopy and denied direct sunlight until nearly 10 aM because of the nearby Marlboro mountains. I just can't seem to see anything through the sights. The aperture makes the sight picture much to dim.

Am I doomed to use a scoped rifle until the conditions are better? Is there a product I can use to enhance the visibility of the sight?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Aperture are dependent upon light source. Bright light makes target appear closer/larger, dim light makes target appear further/smaller. Both scenarios will affect your aim vs point of impact, it's just the nature of the beast. Learn to compensate or investigate alternative optics.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have other rimfires with scopes. I just love the idea of using open sights. I love the old rifle, I hate to leave it in the safe. The issue is not accuracy. The problem is that I can't see anything through the aperture if it is too dark. My eyes seem to have problems with visual acuity in low light. I can't actually resolve the target, much less worry about compensating to apparent distance. I'm just getting old, I guess.

On a related note, while I was sitting under a three waiting for a squirrel to appear, I was visited by a beautiful doe. She walked nearly 30 yards away before she saw me. She stared at me for a minute the way deer do. Then she took off. Happily, my doe permit includes Hemlock Ridge. Great news.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
You can try one with a larger hole to let more light in. They do suck when it's getting darker out or the background is dark.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You can try one with a larger hole to let more light in. They do suck when it's getting darker out or the background is dark.
That's possibility. The larger app will reduce the DOF. Probably a fair trade. Thanks.

Update: Apparently, Merit makes an adjustable Aperture eyepiece. Who knew? 48 bucks, that's nearly half the cost of the rifle. Still, it could be the solution.

http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have other rimfires with scopes. I just love the idea of using open sights. I love the old rifle, I hate to leave it in the safe. The issue is not accuracy. The problem is that I can't see anything through the aperture if it is too dark. My eyes seem to have problems with visual acuity in low light. I can't actually resolve the target, much less worry about compensating to apparent distance. I'm just getting old, I guess.

On a related note, while I was sitting under a three waiting for a squirrel to appear, I was visited by a beautiful doe. She walked nearly 30 yards away before she saw me. She stared at me for a minute the way deer do. Then she took off. Happily, my doe permit includes Hemlock Ridge. Great news.
Don't count on it. I can't count how many deer walked within range during times i was sqmouirrel hunting and just disappeared into the netheroworld come deer season. It's almost as if they had a calender in their dna

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
A few Recommendations....
It seems your aperture is shiny to the flash. Make sure the aperture is black and as flat as possible.
If you do not use one get a nice competition hat with large blinders and shade.

Also, your front peep seems too wide. It is hard to say w/o looking closely and sometimes this is a matter of preference.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A few Recommendations....
It seems your aperture is shiny to the flash. Make sure the aperture is black and as flat as possible.
If you do not use one get a nice competition hat with large blinders and shade.

Also, your front peep seems too wide. It is hard to say w/o looking closely and sometimes this is a matter of preference.
The front sight has both a post and a peep, I prefer the post sight for shorter ranges. I've used the front peep at 100 yards.

The front peep and post pivot up and down interchangeably.

The the rear sight was installed at the factory when the rifle was manufactured. It is as far back as it goes. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts