New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently they were just a few miles from my house today in Amsterdam. Cool stuff.

Wall Photos | Facebook

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I do, I love learning about history and our nations past.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Great show!!! Learning about valuable things I've sold or thrown away is just SOOOOOOOOOOO cool!!!! I could have had some real money with some of the stuff I've sold/traded over the years. Oh well .... live and learn. BECOME A PACK RAT!!!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Aren't those the guys who make people believe every POS they have laying around actually has incredible value and thus try to make enough to retire on for crap that should be a nickle in a garage sale or already gone with last years trash?

The only one that I ever found remotely entertaing was when dumbass #1 bought a really whipped armature lamp that had about 3 flakes of the original paint fot like $100 and was convinced he could get $150 from someone even dumber than him.

Unfortunately I don't know how to contact them or I'd sell them the exact same one, complete with original manufacurers sticker in excellent condition for $300.

Of course they are kind of rare, what with there only being 200~300 in each of the manufacturing machine shops around here that shut down, so mabe I'll just hang onto it anyway and leave it over the bench where its been in use for going on 20 years now

I remember when the history channel was about history and not trash pickers or 'reality' shows about loggers or frikkin truck drivers...

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Great show!!! Learning about valuable things I've sold or thrown away is just SOOOOOOOOOOO cool!!!! I could have had some real money with some of the stuff I've sold/traded over the years. Oh well .... live and learn. BECOME A PACK RAT!!!
Gosh, I hope they didn't show that one with all the fishing lures... Oh, did I say that out loud?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aren't those the guys who make people believe every POS they have laying around actually has incredible value and thus try to make enough to retire on for crap that should be a nickle in a garage sale or already gone with last years trash?

The only one that I ever found remotely entertaing was when dumbass #1 bought a really whipped armature lamp that had about 3 flakes of the original paint fot like $100 and was convinced he could get $150 from someone even dumber than him.

Unfortunately I don't know how to contact them or I'd sell them the exact same one, complete with original manufacurers sticker in excellent condition for $300.

Of course they are kind of rare, what with there only being 200~300 in each of the manufacturing machine shops around here that shut down, so mabe I'll just hang onto it anyway and leave it over the bench where its been in use for going on 20 years now

I remember when the history channel was about history and not trash pickers or 'reality' shows about loggers or frikkin truck drivers...
But now tell us how you REALLY feel. ;)

Yeah, I have no idea how crossing the country learning about history in their picks has anything to do with history....hmm...

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Great show as well as Repo Games/Storage wars/Pawn stars and the new ones counting cars and American Restoration aint to bad ,the worse ones though is Lizard lick Towing and Hard-core pawn!!!!Really hate those last two,waste of film if you ask me....

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great show as well as Repo Games/Storage wars/Pawn stars and the new ones counting cars and American Restoration aint to bad ,the worse ones though is Lizard lick Towing and Hard-core pawn!!!!Really hate those last two,waste of film if you ask me....
Anything that is a TRU-TV original is horrifically bad. Ever since it became "actuality", It became "fake."

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
But now tell us how you REALLY feel. ;)
LOL
Well, right now a little tired actually :p

Yeah, I have no idea how crossing the country learning about history in their picks has anything to do with history....hmm...
I must have missed the part where there's any history lernin as all the info I see is the same old story about how much they think X is worth resale folowed by a repetative chart popping up every Y minutes to show you the numbers in writing that they just said with thier lips to pad the episode out a bit.

Though I do seem to recall around one useless infobit per episode with the 'historical' relevance being the stuff is old and they are playing the ancient game of barter and trade if yu can stand to sit through the whole process.
Thrilling edge of your seat historical things like 'they haven't made those oil cans in fifty years and they were bought out by Edsel, so this rusty one gives me a boner and we need to cut to commercial so I can rub one out', or 'crazy Dave is an old guy with a lot of old stuff in his yard and is a he's a tough negotiator that we're going to break down with our mad skilz'.

The only 'history' those guys get near is the fact most all of the **** they over pay for is old and that's about it.
Do take into consideration that I'm of a generation that was actually taught history in a class so can kinda already seperate 'useful histortically relevant knowledge' from 'entertainment geared one liner trivia infobits' *shrug*

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL
Well, right now a little tired actually :p

I must have missed the part where there's any history lernin as all the info I see is the same old story about how much they think X is worth resale folowed by a repetative chart popping up every Y minutes to show you the numbers in writing that they just said with thier lips to pad the episode out a bit.

Though I do seem to recall around one useless infobit per episode with the 'historical' relevance being the stuff is old and they are playing the ancient game of barter and trade if yu can stand to sit through the whole process.
Thrilling edge of your seat historical things like 'they haven't made those oil cans in fifty years and they were bought out by Edsel, so this rusty one gives me a boner and we need to cut to commercial so I can rub one out', or 'crazy Dave is an old guy with a lot of old stuff in his yard and is a he's a tough negotiator that we're going to break down with our mad skilz'.

The only 'history' those guys get near is the fact most all of the **** they over pay for is old and that's about it.
Do take into consideration that I'm of a generation that was actually taught history in a class so can kinda already seperate 'useful histortically relevant knowledge' from 'entertainment geared one liner trivia infobits' *shrug*
Wow, a generation in which they taught history in a class. You really ARE special!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Special ed mabe :D
Here's another one for you: we had MTV and VH1 that actually played music videos
(history tidbit so you can say you learned something today: video one on day one for MTV 'video killed the radio song')

Do take into consideration that cartoon network is on almost exclusively here as I find toons aren't as depressing as the news, as insipid as the kardasians, as stupid as game shows, or as mind numbingly boring or intellectually insulting as most anything else on discovery/history/tru etc.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Here's another one for you: we had MTV and VH1 that actually played music videos
(history tidbit so you can say you learned something today: video one on day one for MTV 'video killed the radio song')

Do take into consideration that cartoon network is on almost exclusively here as I find toons aren't as depressing as the news, as insipid as the kardasians, as stupid as game shows, or as mind numbingly boring or intellectually insulting as most anything else on discovery/history/tru etc.
LOL, I remember them coming through our neighborhood laying down the cable in anticipation of MTV. My father hated it, lol. Sponge Bob is the best... (now that Bugs Bunny is passe).

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Not sure about passe, but he's certainly got a lot of purple going on where he used to be gray, and a odd relationship with a live in roomate.

If I didn't know better I'd think there was an agenda or something behind it.

New scooby doo sucks big hairy sweaty gank puss dripping dog nuts now as opposed to just plain sucking in general 40 years ago.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Even better tidbit: The song is actually "Video Killed the Radio Star" xD

I heard you on the wireless back in 52...

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
All we had was American Bandstand for one hour once a week. :( We did have 3 channels to pick from though. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Tru TV is pathetic.... They had a show on last year for about 6 or so episodes... after they found out that the main charecter had a felony conviction for medicaid fraud they dropped the show..... I still see the main charecter from that show frequenting the flea markets in my area.....

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Even better tidbit: The song is actually "Video Killed the Radio Star" xD

I heard you on the wireless back in 52...
Here's another tidbit for ya, I'm sitting having lunch in NYC and what comes on the radio? Yep, Video killed the radio star. Probably haven't heard this in 25 years... Too funny.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
LOL
Go team Buggles!!

To steer a bit back on track: does it irk anyone else that the hardly boys tour in a Mercedes van?

You drive that and you want how much off the asking price because you 'can't afford it due to business expenses'?
Git the **** outta my yard!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Darth, they were on Eagle St. on the East Side, and I believe up the street from the Rock Motel. If you go down Rt 5 towards Schdy, there is an old building with an old Pepsi Ad (painted) on the building. I think they were right up there. Neat stuff, but definitely not the best part of Amsterdam.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts