New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm slowly gathering some bits here to put together an AR for myself. Being that I produce my own CNC components and composite mold/tooling at my shop I have designed a few parts for the rifle myself and was contemplating machining my own brake. A friend of mine likes to collect AR's and has used a number of the more popular brakes from YHM, Battle comp, etc and I have found the BC brake to be my favorite based on performance and reduced noise in comparison to other brakes.

I recently discovered that Spikes makes a relatively new brake called the dynacomp that looks similar to the battle comp and I was curious to know if anyone here has used this piece that has any input in comparison to other brakes they may have used? I mean for the price it's a good deal it seems, coming in at often less than half of what the battle comp costs.

I'm still up in the air about tooling my own but if this one works as well as it appears it should, I wouldn't mind knocking a part off the need-to-get list.

· Registered
1,303 Posts
I don't have any experience with Spike's break, my favorite it the FSC556.
But I cation you about manufacturing any firearm parts without proper licenses. Especially when you talk about muzzle breaks and the great state of New York. NY has not said specifically said what they define a muzzle break to be in the AWB. And making your own part could lead to more trouble than you think.
I'm all for "do it yourselfers" but with firearms laws, both federal and state, you absolutely need to do all your homework.
Best of luck.

· Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't recall requiring an FFL to make parts(Ie stocks, handguards, trigger groups, etc) for firearms. If I were to manufacture/sell them and offer the option to install them on customer firearms, then a type 1 FFL is required at minimum.

If I were to manufacture comeplete firearms and/or recievers, all requiring serial numbers, then I would have to have an FFL type 7

Please correct me if I am wrong.

· Registered
1,303 Posts
I have never looked into the laws myself, but the guys around here that I know who design and manufacture parts have their ffl. If you have checked it out then you're good to go. I just hate seeing good guys get jacked up over something like that.
If you do your own make sure to post some pics of the end result.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.