New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Head of Bacon Operations
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new bed. The time has finally come. People I know who have foam mattresses love them, that they don't feel their partner move around, they are comfy etc. However, I am a nuclear reactor when I sleep and have read they are very hot. I like to have the window open in the winter so I can snuggle up with flannel sheets and blankets.
Worried I will be too warm with a foam mattress. I have a foam topper on my coil mattress now and it hasn't been a problem.
I hate looking for big ticket items like beds, couches and cars. Haaaaaaate.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
In theory if you can sleep on a couch (foam cushions) comfortably you can prolly sleep on a foam mattress.

Might have to play with sheet material a bit though as the skins on a couch are certainly thicker than a cotton sheet, so there may be a 'breathability' factor in there somewhere.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A lot depends on your mattress protector. Tempurpedic mattress protectors are usually very good at keeping people comfortable on memory foam mattresses. The protectors run around a hundred dollars and are waterproof and come with a ten year warranty. What a lot of places won't tell you is if your mattress, memory foam or tradition coil, has any kind of stain on it the manufacturer can void your warranty. So if you do get a memory foam mattress think of the protector as insurance for your investment. My experience is from helping manage a local furniture store.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I have one of the tempurpedic memory foam deals and my fiance is the same way (always seems to be 105 degrees) and both of us are fine with the bed

·
Head of Bacon Operations
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love the tempurpedic but out of my price range.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I'm a hot sleeper too. The AC has been on for a month already in my bedroom.

I had a firm Eurotop by - whichever company has those cartoon sheep mascots - that I got at Sam's Club for fairly cheap. Loved it. Then I got married, and I don't fit on a queen with anybody else, so we got a King from a bed store. They didn't have the firm Eurotop, so we have a firm regular with a faux feather topper on it. Like that topper almost as much as I did the Eurotop. Neither made me hot.

The tempurpedic things make me sweat my ass off. My in-laws have egg crate things that also make me too hot. (I sleep on my camping stuff at their house.)

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
never heard of a woman that was a "hot sleeper".
It must have something to do with the bacon :D

smurfette, I can't really help you as I'm in the same boat and have never found a foam mattress that I like. It's so bad for me that if I fall asleep on my foam couch I'll wake up in a pool of sweat; even without a blanket. I had to stick with a conventional mattress. I will +1 the remark about mattress protectors; I never believed in them until I bought my new mattress and the salesman showed me one that breathes but is still waterproof. One of the best investments I ever made I think.

·
Head of Bacon Operations
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm definitely a girl, I swear! *looks down* Yup, all girl.
I wasn't a hot sleeper until I got lupus. So it's likely from that. The bonus is I will never wear a flannel night gown to bed. It will always be something skimpy.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I used to be more hot blooded before I lost weight; now I'm freezing in my 71 degree office. Something wrong with that picture....

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
I'm definitely a girl, I swear! *looks down* Yup, all girl.
I wasn't a hot sleeper until I got lupus. So it's likely from that. The bonus is I will never wear a flannel night gown to bed. It will always be something skimpy.
Pics or it ain't true! :cool:

·
Head of Bacon Operations
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
even when I weight 80 lbs (which was really ugly, let me mention) I was still a hot sleeper.

Maybe you lost too much weight if 71 degrees gives you a chill?

·
Head of Bacon Operations
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pics or it ain't true! :cool:
I have to leave some incentive left for men to buy me dinner. You guys get all the dirty talk for free.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Maybe you lost too much weight if 71 degrees gives you a chill?
According to the Federal Government I'm still 'overweight' (5'10" and 190 pounds); I think I'd look like a stick if I got down to what the BMI chart considers normal (<175 pounds for my height).

·
Head of Bacon Operations
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was down to the bmi for my height, it's like 92-105lbs. It doesn't take into account curvy shapes. I looked liked hell. My periods even stopped. I definitely need to lose weight, but the BMI is a joke.

·
Registered
848 Posts
S'ette, try the Tempurpedic top pad over a decent conventional spring mattress, they are at BJ's and such, about 4" thick and really comfortable, without the megabucks cost.(Thinkthe king was only around $100-120) Of course, as far as noticing any activity by other residents of the bed, the most noticable one of late has been my Australian Cattle Dog...nothing else seems to be very active...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts