New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a long shot guys but I was wondering if anyone knew of a place that had any Rock River Arms uppers in stock for sale ?? I am looking for a 16 or 18 Inch Varmint A4 Upper Half......They are 3 months out if you order one,so I figured I would ask.......Thank you gentlemen...!

Rock River Arms: Varmint A4 Upper Half

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have checked out White Oak......They look and sound like nice uppers,I haven't heard or read much about thier accuracy though......Info is kind of rare on thier products.....

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have checked out White Oak......They look and sound like nice uppers,I haven't heard or read much about thier accuracy though......Info is kind of rare on thier products.....
Go to any match at the state or national level and ask about John Holliger and White Oak products. Excellent stuff, you won't be disappointed. As a nationsal level shooter himself he provides equipment to the same.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Go to any match at the state or national level and ask about John Holliger and White Oak products. Excellent stuff, you won't be disappointed. As a nationsal level shooter himself he provides equipment to the same.
I did some digging and found that the WOA Uppers are really great shooters...!! So they say.....I agree,it was pretty particular about the ammo you used in the articles I just saw....Hmm...

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The white oak uppers use the same blanks as the RRA and (DPMS bull barrels for that matter) they are all wilson blanks. I own a W/O barrel and to be honest I won't bother with one again. It is way to picky about ammo, and I am NOT a fan of the twist that i was limited to when buying a barrel from them. Even with good ammo the barrel does not preform like others I have run. Stick with a RRA varmint upper or a DPMS 1/8 twist upper same barrel way less money.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw a DPMS upper today......16".....Free Float Tube,Bull barrel......New $399.00.......Is that a good price ??? I haven't heard much much about them and don't know about thier quality and durability.....Thoughts ??

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
DPMS, Model 1, Panther, Bushmaster, Olympic, Del~Ton, Double Star, CMMG, RRA, Windham Weaponry (basically rebadged BM with a couple small changes) and Blackthorn would be brands to avoid if general QC, milspec components and proper assembly is a concern.

Noveske, Wilson Combat, Les Baer and KAC are probably well beyond what you may want or need while Colt, BCM and Daniel Defense and LMT would offer very good quality with everything assembled corredtly, up to milspec and constructed of correct or improved materials.

PSA, Spikes, RRA, S&W and Stag are kind of a gray area due to materials, detail in assembly, QC, or simply just haven't been around long enough to have a solid background.

There are other makes/brands of course, but those above tend to be the most common that people have heard of.
If you're going for something custom then obviously the mix and match will toss everything out the window and be reliant on individual components instead.

Note: 'milspec' as used above is not 'because the military uses it', but instead are the specifications that a quality AR should meet at minimum.
Matchingit is a good thing, exceeding it is a better thing, not even reaching the bar at its lowest point of standardization is a bad thing.

All above is strictly an opinion.
YMMV, not responsible for lost or stolen items, everyone has a right to think what they want, don't whizz on the electric fence, 5 cent NYS deposit will be tendered at time of purchase.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I saw a DPMS upper today......16".....Free Float Tube,Bull barrel......New $399.00.......Is that a good price ??? I haven't heard much much about them and don't know about thier quality and durability.....Thoughts ??
At midwayusa? the upper is a flat side, meaning no forward assist or brass deflector. I just got one in the mail Tuesday. It looks very nice, fit and finish are what I expected. There are no M4 feedramps (if that matters to you). I mounted an EOTech on it but, I am a lefty so I am not sure if I will keep the flat side or give it to my kid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts