New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, with .22s I was wondering if this is just common? Every time I shoot my SR-22 Pistol, you had BETTER be wearing eye protection (as you should anyway), because with every shot you can feel the spray on my arms and face. Twice (the 2nd being the reason I made this post) I've caught small pieces in the mouth, and I hear bits flick off my safety glasses every so often. The only other firearm I had experience this with is a friend's Marlin model 60. My 597 I cannot recall this happening, and the same goes for my GSG-5. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I have felt what you're talking about when firing a few different pistols at the range in different calibers too. Although I have never experienced it from any of the five Marlin 60's I have, I don't doubt that you have felt it from one .... especially if rapid firing. Is there any damage to the casings from that pistol of yours?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I've felt it many times with my .22 pistols.... Don;t notice it with the bigger caliber hand guns or .22 rifles

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My GSG-5 never did that?
Nor has mine. I said that I have never had it with my GSG. ;)

I have felt what you're talking about when firing a few different pistols at the range in different calibers too. Although I have never experienced it from any of the five Marlin 60's I have, I don't doubt that you have felt it from one .... especially if rapid firing. Is there any damage to the casings from that pistol of yours?

Nope, but ammo quality affects the spray. The ones that work well in it, the Remington Golden Bullets, I get little spray. The Federal AE and Lightning (Unjacketed rounds) give me "chunks".

I've felt it many times with my .22 pistols.... Don;t notice it with the bigger caliber hand guns or .22 rifles

Same. 9mm and .40 pistols don't do that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes, I've experienced this a few times. Got hit right on the lower eyelid and it really scared me as to what might happen. After that hit I always make sure we wear eye protection.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I've experienced this a few times. Got hit right on the lower eyelid and it really scared me as to what might happen. After that hit I always make sure we wear eye protection.
*ahem* I had something similar happen that ingrained "always wear eye protection" in my head. :)

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I've felt it with .22s before. Shot a Glock once (believe it was a 9 mm) where some of the casing came straight back towards your face. That wasn't fun. But the worst is standing to the right on the line in a training class and having a hot 5.56 casing go down the back of your shirt. Ouch...

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've felt it with .22s before. Shot a Glock once (believe it was a 9 mm) where some of the casing came straight back towards your face. That wasn't fun. But the worst is standing to the right on the line in a training class and having a hot 5.56 casing go down the back of your shirt. Ouch...
Our range doesn't have lane dividers, so you don't want to be the guy on the right of someone with a semi-auto. xD

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Is this coming from the end of the muzzle?
My .22 pistols never send anything back at me (except spent brass occasionally), but my Glenfield bolt-action rifle will have some blow-back past the bolt and down the mag well if I use anything other than CCi ammo.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
My sr-22 doesn't do that at all you might want to get it checked out

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's not just the SR22. The MKII pistol dies it sometimes too. With any .22LR, some will, some won't. Just always wear eye protection.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Oh yeah, I get this all the time. Whenever I'm shooting my .22s, my forearms get covered in powder chunks that look like flakes of pepper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts