New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a 30rd bent the floor plate tabs up, made a pattern.
cut mag to desired length +tabs, notched out tabs, bent tabs, cut spring to length, installed floor plate.

i found that 7 rounds makes the mag almost flush with magwell.
So I put a magpul floor plate on it.
It works perfect, and its pretty handy actually, fits in my pocket easily.

i did have to experiment a little on mag length and spring length, once I had the measurements I made another one.
the second one took less than 10 min.

image.jpg

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Make a vid. Would make a great DYI and better help others.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would imagine that could be done to a 20 rounder as well ?
yes, floor plate is different though, but if you use a magpul you just need the 30 style tabs.

you really need to add a pull, or increase the length a little (which would require a block). It's almost impossible to remove mag with only about 1/4" to grip.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
I took a 30rd bent the floor plate tabs up, made a pattern.
cut mag to desired length +tabs, notched out tabs, bent tabs, cut spring to length, installed floor plate.

i found that 7 rounds makes the mag almost flush with magwell.
So I put a magpul floor plate on it.
It works perfect, and its pretty handy actually, fits in my pocket easily.

i did have to experiment a little on mag length and spring length, once I had the measurements I made another one.
the second one took less than 10 min.

View attachment 15344
You should market this and make your self some money,I am sure there a few member's here that would love to have some made..

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Stop ruining preban mags! Put blocks in them and glue them or something. Or wait until we know this won't get repealed in court.

Don't listen to me I don't know anything but god this is making me cringe seeing that.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Good job! Looks great. Can you please measure and tell us how long did you make the mag body and how many coils are on the spring after you cut it? And could you please take it apart, lay the parts out side by side with a ruler next to it and upload some good close-up pics?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Stop ruining preban mags! Put blocks in them and glue them or something. Or wait until we know this won't get repealed in court.

Don't listen to me I don't know anything but god this is making me cringe seeing that.
Kinda was thinking the same thing, buy the blockers that fit in USGI's ....but hey this is another way to do it. And it's free... kinda.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
I have some blocks for sale but I do not think they will work in the USGI mags I am not sure..Of course they only make them 10 rounds so that will not help out..

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Skimming the law pages I printed out at 4:30 AM this morning..... I saw text under the mag section saying along the lines, "Can not be easily converted to accept more then seven rounds". Now at that time of the morning I was into 26 hours without sleep and I was seeing fuzzy double lines so don't take this as gospel. But I'd be very surprised if the mod doesn't have to be absolute permanent. Ultimately the NYS Police Dept will have to tell us what is acceptable, once they have their lawyers decipher the law which took them a long, long time when the last ban was passed. Until then we need to be careful about how we modify mags, I'd worry about being caught with one that would end up landing charges against me.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Epoxying blocks into pmags fit the requirement of the old AWB. The mag requirement in this one I'm pretty sure is the same. Epoxy those in.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I might, might, do this to one 30 rounder. The rest go to my son in Vt in 364 days. What length did you cut the spring to?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts