New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been one of the worst spring seasons I can remember. I've been rationing my .22lr and .17HMR because I refuse to pay $100 for a brick of .22s, but I miss shooting rimfires. Usually I've gone through a couple thousand rounds of .22 by this time of year; this year I think I've only used a couple hundred. I have plenty of surplus 7.62X54R for my Mosin, but it's just not the same. Anyone else in the same boat?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Nope. I only shoot about 200-300 rounds of 22lr a month :D Don't go crazy. I have managed to snag on average 1 normally priced brick a month since January. So I am actually in the black. It has taken a lot of diligence and luck though, checking ammo websites several times a day.

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
Not trying to rub anyone's nose into anything here, but for some reason last year I kept stocking up on ammo, ordering every month when I had the funds and always threw in a bulk box or two of .22s and a box or two of 9mm when I did. So now I have plenty on hand. So far .22 rimfire and 7.62 x 54R is all I've been shooting with this year. The price of the .223 ammo now makes me want to hold onto it so the guns needing that stay at home.

I remember years ago thinking that no matter how poor I was at the time I would always have gas in the truck so I could just go for a drive. Well, for what gas prices are now, that's not a thought I would have today. I have no idea where the ammo pricing is coming from, Triple to ten times the price of just six months ago can't just be supply and demand can it?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Get a single shot 22. Helps stretch out what ya have and lets you shoot shorts too.

I feel your pay though. Last Wednesday I hit up Gander at opening after they got there shipment, but ended up walking out empty after the cashier told me the 3 fifty-round boxes I had was gonna cost me 38 bucks >:O

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Yep. Having to ration .22, sad times. Does let me play around with some if the bigger calibers I surprisingly have more of though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I shoot bolt action 22lr's. Seems to make a box last longer. When this clams down, remember it. Stock up on 22lr. That's the real shooting caliber. The one you shoot alot.

22lr's are fun, but you can also pick up a good BB gun and still have as much fun. I know someone who put in a BB gun range in their basement. Once I get caught up with work on the house, I am putting a archery range in the basement. You can always practice with a bow too.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
The high prices really suck, I've been limiting how many times a month that I go shooting, I limit to 22 to two fifty round boxes, the 38spl, 357 mag, 45 acp and 9mm to a few mags apiece, The cost is really high to do to much plinking so I just do enough to be in shape. We have been taking the black powder guns, I just bought a single shot 45 caliber pistol for plinking. ($95) used with a cow horn BD flask, a 100 - 45 caliber round balls and a tin of caps. Blackpowder shooting is relatively cheap to get into, it's fun to shoot, opens up another aspect of shooting and extended hunting opportunities. Black powder deer hunting is FUN! A Pennsylvania non-resident hunting license is reasonable and their black powder season use to be the day after Christmas for three week. There is a lot of top quality state land just across the border to use.

22 rimfire is probably the smallest profit margin in ammo manufacture so it will probably be the last to be available. Until then we'll need to cut back, use other calibers and wait it out. I have been taking the bolt actions and or single-shots.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Make every shot count. I go to the range for an hour once or twice a week. I expend between 150 and 200 rounds. I work on accuracy and breathing, The bolt 22 keeps me fom shooting promiscuously. I buy the ammo at he range for twice what it should cost because I don't have the time to stalk Walmart. It costs me $50 a day just to commute to work. Spending a bit on ammo seems small in comparison.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Not really withdrawls but I have cut back some. I shoot in a monthly on line rimfire contest on another site so, after shooting several targets to post my best I'm usually done until the next month comes around. I do have quite a bit of .40 & 9mm so I shoot that in between.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
22lr is the only thing I have been shooting except for clays and the 12ga. I was lucky enough to stock up before the BS happened and have atleat 8k rounds of just 22lr. I have atleast 1k each of 22mag and 17hmr. I go to the range every weekend to plink and shoot a few hundred rounds each time.

·
Registered
475 Posts
My wife and have the ammo, but not the time. We haven't been able to shoot since January 2012 because she got pregnant and we had a kid. Babies don't like big booms.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
To a degree yes. I have quite a bit of .22 stocked up, but I have two piles. One is my rainy day pile and the other is general use. I've been rationing my general use pile to 1 brick for two+ months compared to a brick a month. I will not pay these gouged prices for .22 ammo.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I shoot bolt action 22lr's. Seems to make a box last longer. When this clams down, remember it. Stock up on 22lr. That's the real shooting caliber. The one you shoot alot.

22lr's are fun, but you can also pick up a good BB gun and still have as much fun. I know someone who put in a BB gun range in their basement. Once I get caught up with work on the house, I am putting a archery range in the basement. You can always practice with a bow too.
Yep, I have a single shot, bolt-action .22, one can easily stretch a 50 round box with that thing. I have thought of picking up a good pellet rifle for "plinking" now that I'm rationing my .22. Archery is always a fun one too. Dont have any room in my basement or I'd be all over setting up an archery target.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.