New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I do! whole in law family is great. however my sister-in-law lives next door, and has a bad habit of just knocking 2 times and walking in the house.. Drives me insane. ive been trying to get the wife to say something for months. and well... i finally had it and said something myself. and i blamed it on the fact that i sit around in boxers all the time and she dont want to see that.

well that was a bad idea. as civil and polite as i was its turned into a huge ordeal, where i now have to apoligize to make the peace because i was "rude"...

i guess people are just raised differently in the city of rome. where i come from you dont walk in a house untill someone comes to the door and says to... i thought it was just common courtesy...

needless to say she has gone from dislike on my list to avoid at all costs.

where has all the old school child rearing gone. i feel like im a dying breed.

/end rant.. post was more detailed bu then realized noone really cares lol thanks for the vent.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
uhhh, just lock the door....

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes, I do...I won't get into details, but it says something when my ex-brother in law told me "you got the good one" (meaning my wife) BEFORE they got married...then divorced. One thing I've learned is time heals wounds, give her some space, apologize even if you don't mean it, for your wife's sake. My SIL has a boy the age of my daughter and they get along famously. We try to STFU on anything that could annoy her for their sake, but sometime's it's hard. Keep your head up, calmly make your point to her, and hopefully she'll call first to see if it's a good time to come over.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Some families do that (mine included). Your SIL isn't walking into just your house. She's walking into her sister's house also.

Knocking twice and walking into (a family members house) is completely normal where I am from. Hell, we just walk into my grandmothers house. We knock twice, wait a couple seconds, then just walk into my aunt and uncle's. If my sister lived close, I would probably just knock and walk in. Maybe it is a rural thing? I grew up in the country. We also had a bunch of family as neighbors, so it was completely normal for people to be stopping by for a few minutes or a cup of coffee.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I have 4 different family members that live within a mile of me. We just walk into each other's houses all the time. If I'm doing something that would be a problem if someone just comes in, I lock the door. Doesn't mean I wasn't raised right. Just means I was raised differently.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, my entire in-law family is worthless, so I can feel your pain. Secondly, tell her to fuggin suck it. It's your house, not hers, and that's how it needs to be.

I set up ground rules with ALL friends and family when we first got our house -- no unannounced guests. I didn't site any reason except that is how we roll, and if you choose to just show up anyway, you won't be allowed in. I had a friend who didn't hear me apparently, and after the second time of him just showing up, I texted him and told him again that he can't just show up unannounced. He was mad, didn't talk to me the rest of the day, but apologized the next day saying that he was having a rough day, and he didn't mean any harm, and all is well now.

If you don't want people just coming in to your house, set the rules (again) and be done with it. Don't bow to the wife or agree that what you said was rude... She didn't want to deal with it, so you had to. You were not in the wrong here.

If nay on the above, go with brad's choice, and lock the doors. If nay on that, then cock out is your only choice.

OR -- start going over to their house at random hours, doing the same thing. I'm sure it'll piss her off and hopefully she'll get the hint

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i like the doing the same thing to her idea....

i just like my privacy. and with 2 kids under 2. the wife jump on any opportunity to... practice. whether its in the kitchen, living room etc. locking the doors is furthest from my mind at that point. i dont mind knocking and then waiting a min or so then coming in. but knocking as you open the door is no go. if we are expecting you thats a different story come on in!

the main thing is that it shouldnt be a big deal... its a simple request for common courtesy. i told her if its just her sister home walk on in.

as i said there is much more to the story other instances. i swear this woman is 30 years old and acts like she is still in highschool. seems like every other month shes tellin my wife that "i dont like her" thankfully after this incident wife sees it now. not that she will stand up to he rbig sister.

good to know others have the same issue.

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts