New York Firearms Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Do you believe that?
If a knife was floating around at the bottom of your pocket, than yes, it might be. But any knife clipped on the inside of your pocket/upper pocket Is extremely fast to get out... with out even trying. I have a variety of folding knives i carry daily (folders because i often travel into nj, living on the border, and working in nj) and use as tools, They take ... a second or two tops to get out and open... Is fumbling around inside your shirt and getting to the end of the lanyard really 'a hell of a lot quicker' i dont think it would be any quicker, possibly slower. UNLESS you wore it over your shirt.

But using a knife as a tool multiple times daily that is clipped in your pocket... is pretty quick.. literally a second or two.

Dont get me wrong. I love my knives, i've got all different types styles, sizes designs, etc. And nothing would stop me from buying a neck knife just to get another knife, But 'a hell of a lot quicker' ... i just dont see it.

Edit: NYC yeah, i can see this being more useful as you cant have a knife clipped.
"Believe", like what do you mean? Hmmmmm... Neck knife deployment is lightning fast, your fumbling around the inside of your shirt remark is unfounded. I can assure you it's faster than pocket deployment. Grabbing what's hanging is easier than pulling out of a pocket. And in NYC, that little clip is gonna cause you problems, let alone letting someone know not only that you have a knife, but where it is. Not so with a neck knife...

Anyways... Yeah, I got all different types of knives too, have quite a collection, been carrying a very long time too, have trained with knives too... Doesn't matter, it's really just a preference, and the reference to getting to the bigger knife was a correlating to having a handgun that'll get you to a shotgun. If you know what the Jim Burke Hitman is, you'll know it's all nothing but business. Neck knife might slash and cut, but the JB is gonna slice effortless to the bone! Trust me cause I almost took my own finger off with the thing :(

hehe, no worries though, ultimately, like handguns, you carry what you are most comfortable with, what you shoot best... Pocket works for you, is best to stay that way. Honestly, I never liked neck knives, until I got one. Is a great option sometimes. I don't carry it all the time. But the JB is my daily... The speed bearing is amazing, unassisted, it opens perfectly effortless like an auto with the slightest touch. Simply one of the most amazing, well put together knives I've touched.

Regards!
: )

·
Registered
871 Posts
Around the 6:00 minute mark is some speed comparison.
That is a comparison between a pocket knife and a belt holstered fixed blade knife. Of course a fixed blade from a sheath would be quicker. But the comparison isn't lifting or reaching under a shirt to get to your knife.

Look I'm not saying the neck knife is slow, and yeah it may be faster than a pocket folder, but to say 'a he'll of a lot quicker' is what urked me. to find a knife that is always clipped in the same position, vs getting to one under your shirt or shirts I don't see being as being too much of a difference.

Either way I don't carry my knife as a weapon, I carry it as a tool and it gets daily use as a tool. If it takes me even 3 seconds to deploy a tool, I'm not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Nope my Keraw Blur is for fun ,the Glock 26 is for piece of mind and I don"t want things that say choke me here under my shirt!
You cant be choked with this one as it has a "coupler" for a fast break away..

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
That is a comparison between a pocket knife and a belt holstered fixed blade knife. Of course a fixed blade from a sheath would be quicker. But the comparison isn't lifting or reaching under a shirt to get to your knife.

Look I'm not saying the neck knife is slow, and yeah it may be faster than a pocket folder, but to say 'a he'll of a lot quicker' is what urked me. to find a knife that is always clipped in the same position, vs getting to one under your shirt or shirts I don't see being as being too much of a difference.

Either way I don't carry my knife as a weapon, I carry it as a tool and it gets daily use as a tool. If it takes me even 3 seconds to deploy a tool, I'm not going to worry about it.
Sorry, again, the argument, lifting shirt is slow argument holds no weight. Two handed application whereas both hands move at same time, one lifting shirt, one deploying knife. While lifting shirt and slightly leaning forward, the neck knife centers itself and hangs in the same place every time. When training with the deployment, you'll learn to overreach the neck knife slightly and wipe your hand down along the chain and while swiping, bringing the knife out along with your hand in one quick motion. There is no need to get your thumb placed correctly or reposition a knife in your hand so it can be opened as with a knife that is in your pocket. The neck knife is faster no matter how you slice/dice it (pun intended). And a hell of a lot quicker it is. 3 seconds to deploy a weapon is a lifetime in a violent encounter, 21' rule comes to mind whereas 1.5 seconds is all it takes for an attacker to close that distance and reach you with a blade. I'll try and dig up some vids (neck knife deployment), no promises. But if you have doubts, by a cheap one, practice some and do your own timing research, then comment, let us know you own practical experience, not assumption.

The only thing I would agree with is it doesn't meet an end all answer to carrying a knife. There are many applications and ways to carry that suit the application. I.e, summer, winter, formal, etc., just like which firearm to carry based upon the purpose. But, in straight up comparison, the neck knife is quicker, provides a disguised deployment (not reaching to pocket or waistline) and is accessible whereas a pocket or waistband could be restricted. All in all, as with any weapon system, your training and familiarity will create your comfort and skill level that gives you confidence in its use. I've never discounted any system, function or application I find useful, no matter where, what, or when it comes from.

...as for the choking... I'll let ya choke me while I'm slicing, sticking you with my knife, fair trade! :D ; )
But yeah, break-away chain, clasps are smart : ) Lolz...

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sorry, again, the argument, lifting shirt is slow argument holds no weight. Two handed application whereas both hands move at same time, one lifting shirt, one deploying knife. While lifting shirt and slightly leaning forward, the neck knife centers itself and hangs in the same place every time. When training with the deployment, you'll learn to overreach the neck knife slightly and wipe your hand down along the chain and while swiping, bringing the knife out along with your hand in one quick motion. There is no need to get your thumb placed correctly or reposition a knife in your hand so it can be opened as with a knife that is in your pocket. The neck knife is faster no matter how you slice/dice it (pun intended). And a hell of a lot quicker it is. 3 seconds to deploy a weapon is a lifetime in a violent encounter, 21' rule comes to mind whereas 1.5 seconds is all it takes for an attacker to close that distance and reach you with a blade. I'll try and dig up some vids (neck knife deployment), no promises. But if you have doubts, by a cheap one, practice some and do your own timing research, then comment, let us know you own practical experience, not assumption.

The only thing I would agree with is it doesn't meet an end all answer to carrying a knife. There are many applications and ways to carry that suit the application. I.e, summer, winter, formal, etc., just like which firearm to carry based upon the purpose. But, in straight up comparison, the neck knife is quicker, provides a disguised deployment (not reaching to pocket or waistline) and is accessible whereas a pocket or waistband could be restricted. All in all, as with any weapon system, your training and familiarity will create your comfort and skill level that gives you confidence in its use. I've never discounted any system, function or application I find useful, no matter where, what, or when it comes from.

...as for the choking... I'll let ya choke me while I'm slicing, sticking you with my knife, fair trade! :D ; )
But yeah, break-away chain, clasps are smart : ) Lolz...
Alright, Well, i'm done arguing, Not because it was getting rude, or anything like that, it's been plenty civil, But i dont think we are going to agree on it really.

p.s. just to be snarky, i'd rather take a step back when taking the knife out of my pocket to get 1/2 a second more than stick my head towards the attacker with no free hands.

But no, honestly, like i said, i use my knife as a tool, and dont carry it for defense. if i needed it im not even 100% sure i'd think to go for it, like i said it's a tool for me, not a weapon. yes it could happen, but i dont get into situations where i would be attacked with out seeing something brewing.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.