·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
no, but I may reconsider. very nice. Was it with the kydex sheath? It looks super light.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Yes, now and then.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no, but I may reconsider. very nice. Was it with the kydex sheath? It looks super light.
It does come with the kydex sheath, and its a little over 1/8" thick so its prett solud too.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
My cousin does all the time. Under 2-3 layers of shirts. I have yet to grasp a philosophy of use that has motivated me to buy one.

Anything anyone interested in sharing? Specifically a neck vs. a folder clipped on a pants pocket.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive never worn one before, but i wanted to give it a shot. I prefer fixed blades to folders myself so that was part of the decision for me. I already carry several things on my belt and wanted to avoid another. A minor consideration was that even an exposed belt clip is considered "not concealed" in nyc and this is completely concealed.

Other than that it was just a good excuse for another knife.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I'm sure it's illegal in some manner in NYC...

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
That's a nice little knife there... Good luck with it.

There's a thought you just consider with a neck knife... As the saying goes with a handgun in home defense, the handgun gets you to the shotgun... Lol

so the neck knife, is a hell of a lot quicker to get into action than reaching and getting a folder out of your pocket and into action... The neck knife gets me to my BIGGER knife I have in my pocket (and has no clip to telegraph I do).

I keep a Gnome in a home made Kydex sheath I made myself on my neck. Just enough retention and easily comes free when I need it. Neck knives are good if you are comfortable with it. But don't take my word for it, try it out, have someone time you how long it takes to lift a shirt and have knife in hand in front of you vs taking a knife, clipped or not, out of your pocket and unfold it presented in front of you. My pocket knife is a Jim Burke Hitman (TAD Edition)... All business!

but if you're just planning to open boxes or mail with it, then I guess it doesn't make a difference, lol

Edit: NYC

4" and under NYC. No clip showing, used for work, then it is a tool... Just saying!
:D

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Yeah but I don't care for it. I have a CRKT minimalist bowie.

I really like the knife as far as a cheap knife goes, but would rather carry in pocket.

·
Registered
871 Posts
That's a nice little knife there... Good luck with it.

There's a thought you just consider with a neck knife... As the saying goes with a handgun in home defense, the handgun gets you to the shotgun... Lol

so the neck knife, is a hell of a lot quicker to get into action than reaching and getting a folder out of your pocket and into action... The neck knife gets me to my BIGGER knife I have in my pocket (and has no clip to telegraph I do).

I keep a Gnome in a home made Kydex sheath I made myself on my neck. Just enough retention and easily comes free when I need it. Neck knives are good if you are comfortable with it. But don't take my word for it, try it out, have someone time you how long it takes to lift a shirt and have knife in hand in front of you vs taking a knife, clipped or not, out of your pocket and unfold it presented in front of you. My pocket knife is a Jim Burke Hitman (TAD Edition)... All business!

but if you're just planning to open boxes or mail with it, then I guess it doesn't make a difference, lol

Edit: NYC

4" and under NYC. No clip showing, used for work, then it is a tool... Just saying!
:D
Do you believe that?
If a knife was floating around at the bottom of your pocket, than yes, it might be. But any knife clipped on the inside of your pocket/upper pocket Is extremely fast to get out... with out even trying. I have a variety of folding knives i carry daily (folders because i often travel into nj, living on the border, and working in nj) and use as tools, They take ... a second or two tops to get out and open... Is fumbling around inside your shirt and getting to the end of the lanyard really 'a hell of a lot quicker' i dont think it would be any quicker, possibly slower. UNLESS you wore it over your shirt.

But using a knife as a tool multiple times daily that is clipped in your pocket... is pretty quick.. literally a second or two.

Dont get me wrong. I love my knives, i've got all different types styles, sizes designs, etc. And nothing would stop me from buying a neck knife just to get another knife, But 'a hell of a lot quicker' ... i just dont see it.

Edit: NYC yeah, i can see this being more useful as you cant have a knife clipped.

·
Registered
894 Posts

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I carried a Buck Smidgen for a bit, simply because my friend had one and I thought it looked cool. Talk about "minimalist."

·
Registered
162 Posts
I carry an Esee Izulu as a neck knife, not for protection. I just prefer a fixed blade for things like cutting my lunch in the breakroom. I also carry a folder clipped to my pocket which is much faster for defense if needed. My neck knife is kept much cleaner and sharper so it gets used for food prep and possible skinning in the field if needed. If I was planning on using the neck knife for protection it would need to hang so that the handle is at the bottom of an untucked shirt so I could grab it easily. As my knife hangs know it is a rather awkward looking maneuver to get the knife out and into use.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.