New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just watching some youtube videos and stumbled into some XDs reviews and am now very interested in the firearm (kinda getting ahead of myself here as I havent even turned in my pistol permit application yet :eek:)

Do any of you guys own/carry an XDs? If so how do you like it? I was originally planning to get a slightly larger gun in 9mm as a ccw gun when I get my permit(for the extra round capacity), but after watching countless good reviews on the XDs Im kind of leaning towards getting it as a carry gun once my permit crap is done.

· Registered
425 Posts
I have the XD9 SC for CCW ......do i like it yes, i have the Crossbread supertuck IWB holster with it and no issue here;).....I used to take it a lot to the range but i bought the FNP9 and the XD is now strictly for CCW. GL

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Round capacity is a moot point. No Preban mags avail for it. Still limited to 10 rounds.
Sigs, glocks , berettas, hks, etc are good bc Preban mag availability
I have to disagree with you there. A 10+1 has 83% more capacity than the 5+1 XDs. It's certainly a less relevant point, because a 17+1 Glock 17 has 200% more capacity, but its still a point.

I choose to carry 11 9mms over 6 .45s. But, that doesn't mean the XDs can't be a great choice. I would probably insist on carrying at least one spare magazine for ammo count reasons (also good for potential magazine malfunctions). But with my current carry, I'd say I only carry a spare mag maybe 75% of the time, and I'd feel better with 11 rounds of 9 than 6 of .45.

It really depends on the individual and what they want. If caliber is more important to you than capacity, the XDs is a great choice.

· Registered
737 Posts
My brother has a XD in .40. I will be honest its a easy shooter. I never shot a .40 before shooting his full sized xd and it shot very easy. Much less recoil than I thought and pointed well.
Only thing I cant stnd is the grip safety. for that reason alone I wouldnt own one. But if that doesnt bother you its a good shooter.

· Registered
15 Posts
I have the XD .45 and XDs. Love em both and not an issue with either. 350 rounds out of the mini without a burp! I don't understand the negativity about the XDs 6 round capacity. It is a concealed carry gun meant for just that. And it is damn accurate right out of the box.
If you really want to know more of the pros, and yes there are cons according to some, go here:
XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!
Later, Steve

· Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have to disagree with you there. A 10+1 has 83% more capacity than the 5+1 XDs. It's certainly a less relevant point, because a 17+1 Glock 17 has 200% more capacity, but its still a point.

I choose to carry 11 9mms over 6 .45s. But, that doesn't mean the XDs can't be a great choice. I would probably insist on carrying at least one spare magazine for ammo count reasons (also good for potential magazine malfunctions). But with my current carry, I'd say I only carry a spare mag maybe 75% of the time, and I'd feel better with 11 rounds of 9 than 6 of .45.

It really depends on the individual and what they want. If caliber is more important to you than capacity, the XDs is a great choice.
I always had the same mindset as you do as far as capacity goes

The XDs just really caught my interest though.. and they are apparently going to come out with other caliber versions of it that would have a bit higher capacity

· Registered
753 Posts
Carry the biggest gun you can conceal comfortably (to quote Dave Jensen). In colder weather that's a 10+1 XD45 compact for me, and when it's tee-shirt weather, I'll take the XDS. To each his own !

· Registered
129 Posts
Better how? You own this gun? If so what problems have you had with it to say he'll be able to get a better gun?
I think what was trying to say is that with the decade long wait for permits these days(purely a joke but is is a lonnnngggg wait) that someone might release the new latest and greatest out to the public...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.