New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
under the safe act all you have to do is register as a ammo reseller. now it can be shipped in legal.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
You also open yourself up to future fees, taxes, restrictions and conditions. Once they set up any permit/registration system this is the next step. When they start something up, they make it appear to be not a big deal to encounter the least resistance. They know they can make it as big of a deal as they want later on. Stay "undocumented" as much as possible, you will be better off in the long run.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'll stick with my out of state purchases for the time being.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
you're basically correct. additionally, anybody can buy ammo online as there's no penalty or crime to be a buyer of ammunition. The only thing the unsafe act did was to make it a crime to commercially sell ammo online in New York State. so, any commercial seller of ammunition is technically required to not ship ammo to a private purchaser and it has to be shipped to a seller of ammunition which is typically an FFL dealer.

There are some online retailers that are not located in New York state that will still ship ammo to private residents because they do not believe New York State has a right to interfere with interstate commerce.

since the law only pertains to commercial sellers of ammunition a private seller could sell ammunition to another private individual without fear of penalty. Keep in mind I am NOT a lawyer this is not to be construed as legal advice.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
There are some online retailers that are not located in New York state that will still ship ammo to private residents because they do not believe New York State has a right to interfere with interstate commerce.
Yes. This is absolutely true.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Ok due the ammo restrictions not going into effect you can still legally buy ammo online the problem is finding someone that will sell to this state because they don't understand the law. Thudges does it all the time and hasn't gotten raided yet

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Ok due the ammo restrictions not going into effect you can still legally buy ammo online the problem is finding someone that will sell to this state because they don't understand the law. Thudges does it all the time and hasn't gotten raided yet
...and I store it all at blackpowdershooter's place!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
You weren't supposed to tell anyone lol you've openly stated where to go for ammo on here before so I didn't mean to drag you in to this Thughes

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'll stick with my out of state purchases for the time being.
Out of state road trip is the way to go. Car pool with some buddies. If you can get 1000-2000 rounds each. How long would that last you?

Oh yeah -- FUAC !!

·
Registered
423 Posts
To set the record straight...I have one of this nifty pieces of paper saying my LLC is an ammo reseller. 670% of companies will not ship to NY at all regardless of anything you may have. Another 25% will tell you they don't care, no FFL, no ship. That leaves you 5% which are all gouging to choose from.

Now you can reach out to wholesalers if you like...but they will tell you that they can;t keep their current retailers in stock and are not interested and as such can't help you.

I have made exactly zero purchases with my useless piece of nifty paper. Glad it cost me nothing.

The NY de facto ban is in full effect

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
To set the record straight...I have one of this nifty pieces of paper saying my LLC is an ammo reseller. 670% of companies will not ship to NY at all regardless of anything you may have. Another 25% will tell you they don't care, no FFL, no ship. That leaves you 5% which are all gouging to choose from.

Now you can reach out to wholesalers if you like...but they will tell you that they can;t keep their current retailers in stock and are not interested and as such can't help you.

I have made exactly zero purchases with my useless piece of nifty paper. Glad it cost me nothing.

The NY de facto ban is in full effect
Very interesting experience, thanks for sharing, it sounds like there is a lot of "c.y.a." going on whereby these companies do not want any presumed risks. The ammo ban is a constructive gun ban, yeah the LGS's have been cool about it, but it still is a total PIA to deal with.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
There are still online retailers that are willing to ship to an FFL. The key is to have a good relationship with your LGS.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
under the safe act all you have to do is register as a ammo reseller. now it can be shipped in legal.
and you can register your guns...or turn them in...why should we have to do ANY of this ? Hoops to jump through...hoops not neede or welcomed

·
Registered
154 Posts
Luckily for me I'm about 10 minutes from VT and have about a 45 minute drive to find a gun store, I don't even bother in NY anymore.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
this portion of the law is the one that hurt/effected me the most. i dont own any so called "aw's" but i used to order around 1000 rounds of ammo per month for my target shooting/practice/training/stress relief, etc... now, not only has this panic raised the price to the point where I cant afford to shoot as much (although prices are dropping), but since not really being able to order online I just cant shoot as much. as already mentioned, there are some retailers still willing to ship to ny regardless, but prices arent where I need them to be to be able to afford to buy in bulk again.

we know the work arounds, and at least we have that, but that isnt good enough for me from a matter of principle. Im furious with these elected officials that passed/enacted this law. and while I cant bring myself to wish harm on people, i cant wait for the day they stop sharing my air!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts