New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still have to take my handgun course, it is due before April 25th.

I am signed up to take one, and have been for a few months now, but they don't have a date yet due to the weather.

Anyone know of any upcoming ones this month?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Does anyone know if this course satisfies Cortland County Requirements

All the ones offered here include live fire training. I will try to dig up the papers I filed away last year.

Edit: This is what my paperwork says "Sucessful completion of a 10-hour NRA-Certified handgun safety course"

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
As long as it's the NRA basic pistol course it's fine however if you are not going to have it done in time I would call Julie Easton at the clerks office and explain to her the situation and see what she says. Sometimes they will make an exception, sometimes they won't. She can tell you for sure. 753-5379

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
As long as it's the NRA basic pistol course it's fine however if you are not going to have it done in time I would call Julie Easton at the clerks office and explain to her the situation and see what she says. Sometimes they will make an exception, sometimes they won't. She can tell you for sure. 753-5379
Good advice, Julie has a list of the NRA Instructors with contact information. I am instructor here in Cortland County but I haven't held the classes for some time due to an accident. I know my friend George Jennings Jr. is still holding the classes from time to time at the McGraw Gun Club, his number is 849-6049. And GCE Guns & Ammo use to hold them, not sure if they still are but you can call them at 758-8240. I've been out of the loop for the last few years, I'm not sure who else is on Julie's list but she can direct you.

Guy

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called George this morning actually and got signed up for this month over at Mcgraw.

Really convenient since it's only about 10 minutes away.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
And he owes some people money for guns they ordered and never got.
No kidding? Wow! I've been in there a few times to see what he had, never did buy anything from him. Last time I was in there was last summer, I thought his prices where high but then again I haven't bought any firearms in a number of years. Guess that's why I couldn't find his webpage today!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I called George this morning actually and got signed up for this month over at Mcgraw.

Really convenient since it's only about 10 minutes away.
Good deal, I'm glad you got hooked up with a class. George is a good egg, I use to teach the classes with him at the club.

If you have any interest in shooting Bullseye matches, ask George about it while your there the league is always looking for new blood. I've been away from Bullseye for a while but I'm going to try to get back into it next season. I shot on the Marathon Team with George for many years, a few of us always rode together. I miss the folks from the league and I miss the matches. It's a lot of fun, very relaxing while on the line, it keeps your sight alignment & trigger squeeze up to par and it's better then sitting in a bar on Friday nights.

Guy

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
And he owes some people money for guns they ordered and never got.
Yep and that

No kidding? Wow! I've been in there a few times to see what he had, never did buy anything from him. Last time I was in there was last summer, I thought his prices where high but then again I haven't bought any firearms in a number of years. Guess that's why I couldn't find his webpage today!
Supposedly he is going to open a store in Dryden but time will tell. There is alot of pissed off people over here he owes money/guns I do know that much.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
607-849-6049 is not in service clerks office gave me another # they are doing one in June..607-749-5714
Since my prior post above, George did away with his land line and now only uses his business/cell number. You can reach George at 607-591-3873, if he's with customers at the shop you'll have to try back later or leave him a voice message and he'll get back to you.

I checked the April events calendar in the news letter from the McGraw Gun Club, you missed the first half of this months class by one day, it was last evening, that's the kind of luck I have LoL. I haven't received the May news letter yet so I don't know when George plans to hold the next one but he tries to do one a month.

·
Registered
1 Posts
CNY Firearms Training holds classes frequently. You can call Doug at 607-216-8577 to find out more. Or go to www.cnyfirearmstraining.com
They do NRA Pistol Classes that satisfy Cortland, Chenango, and most other NY Counties.
Also multi-state Utah, Fla., and Arizona CCW classes
Classes are held at Creekside Sports and Izaak Walton League in Homer NY. They will do classes at your location if you make arrangements

1 - 15 of 15 Posts