New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I hit a stump and toasted my 3 year old Troy Bilt. Sucks! Now I have to get a new one. Has to be rear wheel drive as I have quite the incline in the back. Looked a little on line at John Deere Js48 and Honda.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Well I hit a stump and toasted my 3 year old Troy Bilt. Sucks! Now I have to get a new one. Has to be rear wheel drive as I have quite the incline in the back. Looked a little on line at John Deere Js48 and Honda.

Anyone have any suggestions?
I have been in the landscaping business for years. I would suggest looking at a Cub Cadet, Toro or Honda. Couldn't go wrong withe either one. The new John Deere, Lawn Boys etc that were best back in the day have been well commercialized and toned down and they still apply the name tax. For the money the other 3 will provide you better equipment and cost less then a compareable john deere and such.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
hire a teenager, that is what I do.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I've got a Honda about 3 years old or so from Home Depot for a small property upstate. I think its the only "EZ Start" Honda that doesn't start EZ. Runs great after it going though. I don't even bother trying to start it anymore without a shot of starter fluid or wd-40 in the air cleaner first. I seriously think its a fluke. Have had many Honda small engines over the years and they all started on first or second pull everytime. I've heard Toro is very good but don't have any experience with their mowers. Owned a Toro snowblower years ago and it was great. Also owned Snapper lawnmowers over the years and they were very good. Not sure how they are today, though. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I've got a Honda about 3 years old or so from Home Depot for a small property upstate. I think its the only "EZ Start" Honda that doesn't start EZ. Runs great after it going though. I don't even bother trying to start it anymore without a shot of starter fluid or wd-40 in the air cleaner first. I seriously think its a fluke. Have had many Honda small engines over the years and they all started on first or second pull everytime. I've heard Toro is very good but don't have any experience with their mowers. Owned a Toro snowblower years ago and it was great. Also owned Snapper lawnmowers over the years and they were very good. Not sure how they are today, though. Good luck.
Have you had it serviced at all. New plug and air filter, refresh the carb.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looked a little a the Toro and they did not impress me that much. Must admit if I was purchasing a rider it would be a Cub and I never thought of them. Need to give them a look.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Keep in mind lawn mowers need to do one thing. Mow. The more bells and whistles the more **** then can break. High power motor strong power assist and 20" in blade or bigger. Any other options just drive the price up for something unnecessary. What thw world needs is a room a that cuts grass.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep in mind lawn mowers need to do one thing. Mow. The more bells and whistles the more **** then can break. High power motor strong power assist and 20" in blade or bigger. Any other options just drive the price up for something unnecessary. What thw world needs is a room a that cuts grass.
Well keeping all this in mind I am still searching but really leaning towards a Honda. No Cub dealers around here some of there mowers are only 19". Still don't care for Toro and was not impressed with the Deere. In fact the local John Deere dealer also sells honda and is steering me that way (even though they are less expenisve).

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Well keeping all this in mind I am still searching but really leaning towards a Honda. No Cub dealers around here some of there mowers are only 19". Still don't care for Toro and was not impressed with the Deere. In fact the local John Deere dealer also sells honda and is steering me that way (even though they are less expenisve).
My Honda mower has an "EZ Start" motor with an automatic choke. See if you can get one of the normal motor with manual choke. Other than hard time starting, I really like the Honda mower. Great cut, variable drive, mulch or bag option. I'm sure you'll be happy. Also, if I recall correctly, Honda engines have a letter designation if they are commercial or residential quality. Im thinking something like GX or CX, but not really sure. You can probably google it or ask your dealer. Probably worth stepping up to the commerical motor if you are planning on keeping it a long time... Good luck, can't really go wrong with a Honda IMO.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Honda mower has an "EZ Start" motor with an automatic choke. See if you can get one of the normal motor with manual choke. Other than hard time starting, I really like the Honda mower. Great cut, variable drive, mulch or bag option. I'm sure you'll be happy. Also, if I recall correctly, Honda engines have a letter designation if they are commercial or residential quality. Im thinking something like GX or CX, but not really sure. You can probably google it or ask your dealer. Probably worth stepping up to the commerical motor if you are planning on keeping it a long time... Good luck, can't really go wrong with a Honda IMO.
Very good. Thank you for the reply. Will check out the choke before purchasing. I am hoping it is on the sames lines as there vehicles. We own a Honda Element and Ridgeline. And was not long ago I had a Honda CBR motorcycle with 80,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got this from a google search. GX is commercial grade, GC is homeowner grade. I'm sure both are good for residential use. Honda GX and GC engine differences - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Well that kind of sucks. The mower I was looking at has a GX mower. But found a GC on line but holy crap. $1200 for a push mower. Think I am going to stay with the one under $600. Great info though. Did not read that one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts