New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of friends and I have been wanting to go to a shooting range and try out some guns, learn a bit, and have fun.
Problem is, only one of our friends has an idea of where to go, and its a range out in PA that rents to anyone 13+ (probably has to have at least one person over 21 though). Its pretty decently priced too, $6 for 10 rounds of .22 and it doesnt seem like you need to pay for anything else.

The range is a 2hr drive from NYC.
Does any one know of a similar range that would be closer to NYC? Something in LI, NJ, Queens, etc?

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
To borrow another forum member's line (sorry not sure which one to give you the full credit that you deserve but) I'm calling BS on this one....

If it's not, I've got some friends that will gladly let you fire off 10 rnds of .22 for $6 all weekend long, lol.

Oh, and pretty sure Davis doesn't rent guns but call and ask.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lmao yea it sucks. But its all inclusive (no fee for targets, being on the range, renting the guns, etc) and its the absolute cheapest I can seem to find in the area.

Basically that range gives you a ticket, and you can swap out between all guns that they have all you want, and they just record how many rounds you spent of each caliber and you pay based on that at the end of the day.
Expensive yea, but best deal I can seem to find for what I want to do.

Oh and for comparison, the same place gives you 5 rounds of .308 for 10 bucks x.x
$2 a round, and I think match grade ammo costs around $1.50 a round right? so its not SOOOO bad considering everything :|

But yea, other alternatives are very welcome lol.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You probably mean Sunset Hill. If so, you won't need match grade ammo - the targets are not far enough for that to matter.

That place is excellent if you want to try several different guns quickly. You don't need many rounds to figure out how a particular gun feels.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
How supervised is it? Bring your own ammo. Not that I'm suggesting you do something dishonest...

Honestly, my only experience renting guns is at the Gun Store in Las Vegas. They have just about every gun in existance, including full auto. They charge I believe $160 for any three guns, you get two mags per gun. And they do a very good business, every tourist who hears about it goes and shoots machine guns. You even get a free t-shirt.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't think Sunset Hill will let you shoot your ammo in their guns. They don't charge rental fee per gun, so would not be getting much revenue if they did.

Range supervision is fine, an instructor is always with you. And their guns are in much better shape compared to Gun Store in Las Vegas. M16 I rented in Las Vegas was keyholing at 7 yards, and AK had nasty trigger slap.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
$6 for 10 rounds of .22 and it doesnt seem like you need to pay for anything else.
Squeal Like a Pig - YouTube

Man - they must be shooting solid gold bullets at that place. Just find someone with a range membership, and ask if you can shoot with them for a couple of hours and pay for a brick of ammo (most gun owners will supply the ammo for free).

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Damn I feel like buying the guy a 10/22 with 1000 rounds of ammo but living in NYC don't think that's possible. If I belonged to a club I'd invite you but unfortunately not yet. I do most of my shooting upstate on private property. NYC is tough. I feel for you and your friends. And for the record, if it isn't clear, $6 for 10 rounds of .22 is no deal. Apply for whatever permit you need, buy a gun and go shoot for much less. Last time I checked I thnk 500 rounds of .22 is something like $25. LOL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts