New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few years I have been wanting to camp at Terror Lake. There is no maintained trail there and its not visited often at all by people. It is NE of Big Moose lake and SE of the eastern portion of Stillwater Resiviour . I have been contemplating different routes in (old trail off Twitchell lake, or going SE from Shingle Shanty Pond, or even going from Big Moose Lake).

My current idea is to either canoe or take a "boat taxi" ($60 one way for up to 4 people and $10 for each additional person) to Norridgewock Lodge The Norridgewock Lodge . So my idea once at Norridgewock Lodge is to Bushwack ESE over to Terror lake norridgewock lake ny - Google Maps .
If you click on map to show terrain I plan on staying in the flat areas and if you zoom in there are some creaks surrounded by what appears to be marshy area. I figure this way in is only about a 6 mileish hike.

This is a thread I found on a different forum that talks about some different ways in.
Terror Lake - Adirondack Forum

If anyone has any opinions, thoughts, ideas on route or might be interested please let me know. Not sure if I will do it this year or next but if I cant find anyone dumb enough errrrr I mean if I cant find anyone who enjoys adventure then I might end up doing it by myself next year

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
The few people that posted about it on Terror Lake - Adirondack Forum that you posted gave some pretty sound "directions" I would take those and look at some good maps of the area - also the time of year will have relevance on the route you will want to take - wet,dry, black flies , all that good stuff .... I used to take off and disappear in the adirondacks for a month or two every summer and a few times in the winter - never went to Terror lake .... I like the sound of it, and looking at it on several maps it does look like you will be in for quite a bit of hard trekking which as far as I'm concerned is a bonus .... good for you on the choice of destination

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
NY firearms terror lake group meeting? I'm sure you could find 3 or 4 of us dumb enough to do this!

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is at terror lake that is worth this effort?
I couldn't really find much out about the place in general and since there used to be a trail to it until the blow down (I think it was the 90's sometime when the micro burst happened) and since it hasn't been maintained although I have read a few tried to re do trail at some point. The reason I picked it a while ago is because is miles away from anything lol. I also know its mentioned in some hiking or adirondack books just dont remember which one or ones.

I guess it got its name when some trappers were out and got caught in a bad storm way back when and they found it during their "terrifying" ordeal and they made it to stillwater I think and some loggers made a raft from trees to get them back to "civilization".

I have thought about timing of a trip like this and there are different things to consider. If you go in early spring you miss out on bugs and vegetation is not thick but you will deal with a lot of wetness on the ground and it can still get cold at night. Later you will have to deal with heat, bugs, and vegetation but it should be drier. Also I am not sure about how much the trees from the blow down have been broken down. It just seems like a lot of unknowns which would definately guarantee an adventure and a memorable trip.

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NY firearms terror lake group meeting? I'm sure you could find 3 or 4 of us dumb enough to do this!
Lol, then I guess I need help with figuring out a definitive route and choosing a time of year! I think it could be a lot of fun. The only thing that worries me about the route I am thinking about above is all those streams and if they will be crossable or not. Also I have a hammock so I wont need any flat level ground for a tent so that leaves more opportunities for spots to others. I was thinking about setting up on the T shaped landmass near the SW area of the lake.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Just my $.02.
With regard to the 'micro-burst': I hunt an area up there that was hit by the 'micro-burst' and I'd describe it as currently impassable.
I think it would be best to plan on going around anywhere that was hit by one.

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that. I just remembered seeing a map a while ago of the damage areas and this is it after some searching.

World Map Line Atlas Font

So it appears the route I want to take and a lot of the routes dont go directly through the worst damage. Any idea if the impassable areas your talking about are in the red or yellow parts?

·
Registered
642 Posts
The area I'm familiar with is near Long Lake and was really torn up.
There's lots of new growth now but between the new stuff that's grown up and the old stuff that hasn't rotted away, it's just way too thick to bother trying to go into.
Fortunately, the affected areas aren't that large, so going around isn't a big deal.
I noticed the canoe in one of your pictures. How about going in by canoe?

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
The area I'm familiar with is near Long Lake and was really torn up.
There's lots of new growth now but between the new stuff that's grown up and the old stuff that hasn't rotted away, it's just way too thick to bother trying to go into.
Fortunately, the affected areas aren't that large, so going around isn't a big deal.
I noticed the canoe in one of your pictures. How about going in by canoe?
I will take the kayak!

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info, based on the map above it looks like long lake was hit pretty hard. So that really rules out wanting to go in from south but my initial route and other routes still look to be good options.

Going in by canoe could be a good idea. I just dont have any canoe experience outside of canoeing on lakes and what not lol. I am definately open to the idea though but I just dont know how to plan a canoeing route or know any way to gauge potential difficulty and all that.

Anyone know anything about the tricks of the trade to plan canoeing routes?

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Thanks for the info, based on the map above it looks like long lake was hit pretty hard. So that really rules out wanting to go in from south but my initial route and other routes still look to be good options.

Going in by canoe could be a good idea. I just dont have any canoe experience outside of canoeing on lakes and what not lol. I am definately open to the idea though but I just dont know how to plan a canoeing route or know any way to gauge potential difficulty and all that.

Anyone know anything about the tricks of the trade to plan canoeing routes?
Buy waterproof bags and have at it! Oh a life vest also. All kidding aside, do you know much about the river/streams (rapids ect)?

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I dont know anything about them lol other then what satellite image shows. The topographical map shows the area pretty flat so I am assuming no life threatening rapids but I haven't a clue. My dad lives up there so maybe he can ask around for me or maybe we have an old book up there that talks about it.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Ok, if I hear banjos I'm out of there!

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL (note to self bring recording of banjo music to play at night away from campsite).
From those of you who have done stuff like this how many days would you suggest? I was thinking 3 days. Go in day 1, spend day 2 there and come back day 3. Is that reasonable or take more time or what?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts