New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm in Erie county, in Orchard Park. Every weekend I go back in the woods behind my house and do some target practice with my AR-15. Once a week, always during the day, and I'm never out there for more than 45 minutes. Someone has been calling the police on me the last few times, according to my neigbor across the street. Seems that I get done shooting, and the police show up and drive up and down the street listening for shots, after I'm already finished. Am I breaking any laws? The land is owned by a former neigbor that is somewhat of a gun nut himself, and he has no problem with us shooting back there. I do have a 20 foot cliff as a backstop. I'm assuming it's one of the new houses that just went up that's making the calls. Was considering going to the police station and letting them know what's going on, but just wanted to clear it first. The area that I'm shooting in is not in view of any houses. Thanks.

· Registered
7,703 Posts
as long as your at least 500' from the neighbors house, have permission to be there and are not inside village limits, I would just ignore them and shoot more often.

· Registered
275 Posts
From what I read from the state laws it has to be at least 500 feet from any house, school, etc. However there might be additional local laws, so I would check those too. And obviously you'd shouldn't shoot at like 3am in the morning or something.

· Registered
6,329 Posts
All of the above is true, but I would bet they are just calling because they heard gunshots. Happens all the time. Make sure you are far enough away from the road and any other buildings that you don't own and make sure you don't have any local ordinances against shooting.

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All of the above is true, but I would bet they are just calling because they heard gunshots. Happens all the time. Make sure you are far enough away from the road and any other buildings that you don't own and make sure you don't have any local ordinances against shooting.
Any place to check that? I can't find any list of local laws.

· Banned
191 Posts
I'm assuming it's one of the new houses that just went up that's making the calls. Was considering going to the police station and letting them know what's going on, but just wanted to clear it first. The area that I'm shooting in is not in view of any houses. Thanks.
Maybe you should attempt to find out who called and invite them to come with you next time. I don't think we should conclude that the caller is an anti-gunner. With the world getting crazier the way it is the caller may just be a concerned parent of young children. Once you educate them and put their fears at ease I expect the calls would stop.

· Registered
3,369 Posts
I don't think we should conclude that the caller is an anti-gunner.
I've called in people for shooting before. Of course they were on the opposite side of the river from me shooting towards my house......

· Registered
4,733 Posts
javerial...you have to stop pissing people off.....that's how you solve that!!!

LOL

Just kidding......that would suck if someone were shooting at my place.....I would definitely take offense to that

· Registered
4,733 Posts
LOL...Yep. Maybe I'll have to change the name. Apparently being on the defensive is not good. Supposedly, you have to be aggressive and proactive, not defensive......

But that's a story for another day.

· Registered
3,369 Posts
Just kidding......that would suck if someone were shooting at my place.....I would definitely take offense to that
Just a bit. I was living on the river in Endicott at the time. They set up on the opposite bank in Vestal and were shooting handguns across the river. We were up fairly high at that place (to give you an idea, it didn't flood in 2006 in spite of being right on the river) but it still made me really uncomfortable.

It took the police over an hour to get to their location. I guess they needed an ATV to reach it. By the time they got there they were packing up. I don't think they charged them but I'm sure they got a stern lecture. In any case it never happened again, which was all I cared about.

· Registered
3,023 Posts
OP - as long as you are 500 ft from a dwelling, have permission to be on the land (if not yours) and are conducting yourself in a safe manner (meaning not shooting in the direction of your neighbor that is 600 ft. from you) as well as observe an village laws you have nothing to worry about.

People are pissy and love to complain - if you are truly concerned about it you could always call the local authorities prior to going out to shoot to let them know that you are going to be doing a little target practice on your 'deer rifle' on your property and just wanted to inform them in case they get any reports of hearing gun shots in the area.

Or look into shooting at a range or take it out in the ADK - although the influx of killjoys from New England have been making enjoying the out doors less fun out there as well...

· Registered
358 Posts
I get the Troopers at my house once every other month at least. I have a nieghbor (who moved out here from the city) who is about a 800 yards from me that hates when I shoot. The last time the Trooper came (same one as the previous 3 visits) I asked him to explain to my neighbor the laws and let him know if it happens again I'll file a harassment charge, he came back and said I should be all set. This same neighbor came to my house 2 years ago to confront me while I was shooting. It's too long a story to post here but long story short he agreed that if I shot during the day it would work out. His wife apparently didn't feel the same way.

Just be 500ft from any dwelling other than yours and don't shoot towards a road or house and your good to go.

Follow the rules an you have nothing to worry about...

· Registered
3,369 Posts
OP - as long as you are 500 ft from a dwelling
He should still check the local laws. As an example, in the Town of Vestal it's 1,000 feet from the nearest dwelling, not 500.......

· Registered
859 Posts
http://www.ecode360.com/?custId=OR0980

[Amended 5-17-2000 by L.L. No. 2-2000]
No person shall fire or discharge any gun, air gun, pistol, firearm or slingshot or any rocket, torpedo or other explosives, firecrackers or fireworks of any description, or carry or transport the same in Yates Park unless upon permission of the Town Board and Village Board or their duly authorized agent or employee.

[Amended 5-17-2000 by L.L. No. 2-2000]
No person shall fire or discharge any gun, air gun, pistol, firearm or slingshot or any rocket, torpedo or other explosives, firecrackers or fireworks of any description, or carry or transport the same in any town park, playground or recreational area unless authorized by the Town Board.

Seems ok to me from a town perseepctive.

I dont think Erie County law should be a problem either.

Happy Shooting.

· Registered
3,369 Posts
No person shall fire or discharge any gun, air gun, pistol, firearm or slingshot or any rocket, torpedo or other explosives, firecrackers or fireworks of any description, or carry or transport the same in Yates Park unless upon permission of the Town Board and Village Board or their duly authorized agent or employee.
That's going to put a real crimp in my planned reenactment of the Battle of the Atlantic :D

Reactions: Thatguy

· Registered
275 Posts
http://www.ecode360.com/?custId=OR0980
Damn, I was hoping to some target practice with my torpedos at Yates Park this weekend...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.