New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Im not sure if Im posting this is the right section. If im not I apologize in advance. I have been trying to get my pistol permit for quite some time now. I live in Westchester county. The problem Im having is that I have an arrest on my record. It was back in 98 when I was 15. When I attempt to get a disposition. They tell me that there is nothing on file and they cant help me. So is there anything I can do to at least get something that says theres nothing on file?

·
Registered
283 Posts
yes its another great ny law, you get judged for the arrest even though it has always been said innocent until proven guilty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no intention of leaving it off my app. I just know when I don't provide the disposition as they require my app will be denied and id have wasted tons of money for no reason

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would give the people in charge of the permits a call and se what they say you should do. The last thing you want is to be denied for something like that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Anyway too speak with the Investagateing officer that will handle your application I was kinda in the same situation as you i tried too find a disposition but there wasn't any because it was also when I was a "youth" although it was 20 plus years old and im sure that factored in when i had my app investation

did u try going too the original courthouse where you were held accountable too the charges ? ... I was able too get a disposition from a court district in new York state from back in 1997 From my youth record also ....

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Hi guys, Im not sure if Im posting this is the right section. If im not I apologize in advance. I have been trying to get my pistol permit for quite some time now. I live in Westchester county. The problem Im having is that I have an arrest on my record. It was back in 98 when I was 15. When I attempt to get a disposition. They tell me that there is nothing on file and they cant help me. So is there anything I can do to at least get something that says theres nothing on file?
I was told the same thing by Madison county when i was giong through this BS. I ended up calling the local podunk town clerk/justice/janitor's office and they dug it out in the basement and sent off to NYS DOJ with their deepest apologies. Then the NYS DOJ cleared in their system and it then cleared in the FBI NICS.

here's the best part that some here might scoff at, but i know it to be 100% true. I had a LEO check my background via NYS and it showed nothing. Everyone said it was because my case was an adjudicated youthful offender. I listed it anyway...and am glad i did because when i went to pick up my pistol, BAM...NICS DENIED as the NYS DOJ never cleared my prints after my case was adjudicated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to criminal court family court probation the officer I did my community service with county criminal court county family court. No one would do anything for me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You paid a fine right ? What about the exact place where u paid the fine they have too have record of that at least put it down on your application of course all else fails explain it too the investagating officer when it comes time for your interview if thats how it works in your county what you can't obtain I'm sure they can if anything they will understand with you being honest of course this is only my opinion on this matter but having gone thur the same situation recently it's what worked for me in my county but for yours I can't say I would however do all I could 1st before submitting the application ..... Good luck

·
Registered
239 Posts
I went to criminal court family court probation the officer I did my community service with county criminal court county family court. No one would do anything for me.
If you were assigned a probation officer and had to do community service, there has got to be a record of the arrest/incident/court hearing SOME PLACE.

I'm assuming you went to court after the arrest.
Typically, you should be able to get a copy of the disposition by going to the same court building that you went to after the arrest, and looking for their records office.

I had a youthful indiscretion of my own from when I was much younger.
I was charged with a violation ("disorderly conduct") and had to appear in court.
I was given an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal (aka "ACD"). After six months the case was automatically dismissed and the record automatically sealed.

When it came time to get my pistol permit application paperwork together, I went to the court building in which I had my hearing, found the records office, filled out a request form (with my name, SSN, and approximate date of my court hearing), and paid them a $5 fee.
Three days later they called me to tell me that my files were ready to be picked up...so I went back down there and picked up a hard copy of the disposition, which I submitted with my pistol permit application.

If you physically appeared in court after being arrested, there is a record of it somewhere.
I'd start by calling that specific court house and asking for the records office...or explaining the situation to the switchboard operator and asking them to point you in the right direction.
I'm sure it's not an uncommon question for them to receive.

If they don't have a records office on-site...if your town/county is smaller than mine and things work differently there.... call the county pistol permit office directly.
Explain the situation to them, and have them explain exactly which documents they need, and exactly where you're supposed to go to get them.
That's what they're there for. And again, they too probably get that same question fairly often.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did everything you said already with the exception of calling the clerk at the pistol permit office. I'm pretty sure it will be the same result I've had in the past. But ill give it a shot tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts