New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone goes to dunhams bay range in glens falls/queensbury.

Just wondering how the place is, do they let you shoot anything besides paper targets etc..
Are the indoor ranges for archery only or are there small caliber ranges.

Seems to be about the only place in the area to shoot at.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
If you click the membership application it has most of the rules mentioned there. Steel is allowed, they say any legal weapons are good to go. I might be shooting there as a guest in a couple of days. Stillwater Rod and Gun Club is also taking new members, but they have have 3 positions compared to the 50 at Dunhams Bay.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I've been meaning to check them out too. $100 per year for family membership seems very reasonable. Let us know what you think of the place if you go.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Will do.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Its a good range - they even have air conditioning!

bobbyd3 - you are right around the corner from teh Hudson Falls fish and game club - even if there is a wait it would be worth getting on the list for you.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ive already put my application in to Hudson Falls club, been there as guest couple times.

But they do the memberships in jan/feb and everyone tells me it took them a year and a half minimum to get in.

Just wondering if Dunhams had indoor ranges like Hudson falls does. Be nice to go at night when im bored

Dunhams is only one accepting new members in area I think.

That stillwater one looks nice, but its far away

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just went to dunhams tonight as they had the monthly new member orientation.

Seems like a nice place, nice big open field for shooting and 50 benches. You can even use metal spinner/plinking targets.

Indoors they have a archery inside, but not much to look at just 4-5 targets in the corner.
Said they have plans of building a state of the art indoor range, but who knows when that will be.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I couldn't make it up there but my friend Amajr316 did, I asked him to leave some notes here. He said it was a great time, easy and friendly, no range officer acting like a wannabe drill Sgt (I have no problem with Drill Sgts ofc, just civvies who act like them), just everyone doing what they are supposed to be doing like proper adults. If it wasn't an hour plus away my app would be in.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Dunhams Bay - Review

I couldn't make it up there but my friend Amajr316 did, I asked him to leave some notes here. He said it was a great time, easy and friendly, no range officer acting like a wannabe drill Sgt (I have no problem with Drill Sgts ofc, just civvies who act like them), just everyone doing what they are supposed to be doing like proper adults. If it wasn't an hour plus away my app would be in.
Right you are, Degenret, I went yesterday as a guest of a member. The place is super easy to find! Card access gate at the entrance. We pulled in, and I had to go sign a waiver in the club house. After doing that, we went outside. 50 (yes, FIFTY) covered benches to shoot from. Each bench position has a red light in front of it, a light on a pull string above it, and a power switch. Oh, and a chair. If you intend to go on the range, flip the red light on, and ask your fellow shooters for a 'cease fire'. Once you get the 'all clear', pull the light over your station, to let folks know that the person at that bench is down range. Set up your targets (there are positions at 25, 50, 100, and 150, I believe. They do allow steel targets, but at a minimum distance of 50 yards. Many people were setting up smaller targets close buy, for pistol work (I was one of them, the glock 26 isnt really a 'target' pistol!).

There were a few other shooters there, and everyone seemed really nice. The bench areas were neat, and people are serious about cleaning their brass up.

When done, we went inside, and I saw the clubhouse, the bathrooms, the 'meeting room' (which also allows bows and air-rifles). Took a quick look at the outdoor archery area. All in all, the place was really nice, and certainly worth a little bit of travel! Plus, the price is reasonable, and the place is very, VERY well kept. The members should be proud! Also, the range is community involved, and hosts 4h for youth bow - making it a plus for family shooters. As I understand it, they are considering adding an indoor pistol range, but this is just speculation.

Again, I was only there once, but if you have any questions, fire away! I am hoping to get up there again, with my buddy Degenret. If he chooses to not let a headache stop him this time. I'm married - I hear that excuse enough.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I am a member and couldn't have said it better than amajr, it's about a 15 min ride from downtown Glens Fall. There could easily be 20 other people there and everyone has more than enough space. Not sure what he deal is with an indoor range but there are a lot of members, I forget the number, who plunk down their $100 a year. But that pays for lawn mowing and maintenance to as there is no work requirement. I need to be more active in attending monthly meetings to know more about the financial state of the club. I would recommend it to anyone who isn't an idiot. Sorry, just don't want to be shooting next to an idiot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts