New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides standing in 1 spot and shooting targets I wanted to come up with some things I could do that would teach me how to actually USE my rifles. I'm talking like my AK, M1 Carbine and SKS, possibly my pump 12 gauge too.

I have thought of having someone else load random numbers of rounds into my AK magazines (and not tell me) then trying to get them all on target ASAP (like 3 shots in 1 mag, 4 shots in another, 2 shots in another) so I could practice my reloading while firing at a target, and I won't know when my rifle is gonna go *click*

I'd like to do some moving drills, like walking and shooting, things like that.

Just wanted to hear some suggestions for things to do with semi-auto rifles and pump action shotguns that can improve more then just my table shooting skills, all I have available is a field on state land and my rifles lol.

I also got a range finder now so I can factor in distances into my drills alot better.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
You dont even need someone else to load your mags for you. Put your empty mags in front of you and some ammo and close your eyes and load random amounts into them then while your eyes are still closed move all the mags around so you have no idea of the order you loaded them in.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You dont even need someone else to load your mags for you. Put your empty mags in front of you and some ammo and close your eyes and load random amounts into them then while your eyes are still closed move all the mags around so you have no idea of the order you loaded them in.
True, I could do that, I was just thinking I could give my girlfriend something to do while shes with me lol. She likes to come with me when I shoot just doesn't always shoot with me. Plus in the case of any kind of unpredictable accident, its good to have another person with you, in case I get hurt and can't call for help.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Mix in snap caps blindly and practice fixing malfunction

Try shooting at two targets w rifle and transition to pistol for the third

Shoot at 3 targets and do reload after 2nd target

Move and shoot ideas are endless..

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I like to practice slug change over (from bird shot at clay target thrower) from my 12g. I write my own drills and scoring system.

Get a Shot Timer and practice double taps from different distances.

Set up unknown distance targets and have your girlfriend call out target numbers to practice transition shooting.

I like my shooting partners to sneak in snap caps and practice FTF drills.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
A great way to work on tactical shooting; at the range, work different muscle groups before shooting. Run in place until you are tired, muscle failure pushups, stuff like that. If possible try to work up a good sweat get tired and then start shooting. So many people think they are good with the weapons they fire, anyone can stand in front of a target and hit a piece of paper, try doing it under high levels of physical and mental stress. There are a lot of training type videos on line. Youtube can be a great resource when finding what works for other people. Just remember, if you don't push your limits on your own, you will fail when forced to push those limits!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
^ I was just going to suggest that. Stress your body until you are huffing and puffing. Then try to hit a target. The Army calls it a stress shoot.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A great way to work on tactical shooting; at the range, work different muscle groups before shooting. Run in place until you are tired, muscle failure pushups, stuff like that. If possible try to work up a good sweat get tired and then start shooting. So many people think they are good with the weapons they fire, anyone can stand in front of a target and hit a piece of paper, try doing it under high levels of physical and mental stress. There are a lot of training type videos on line. Youtube can be a great resource when finding what works for other people. Just remember, if you don't push your limits on your own, you will fail when forced to push those limits!
Yes that is a good idea, that is what I am trying to do, I can claim to be a good shot all I want when sitting comfortably in a campers chair and resting on a table, I want some exercises that will actually take more then just repetitive practice and knowing your rifles drift to accomplish. I gotta start stocking up on ammo and getting back in shape as well as practicing these suggestions.

Also I need to get me some more snap caps lol, they are a good idea but I only have 2 for my 7.62x39 caliber haha.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
If you want to learn how to do things right, take a class. You will learn more in one day than you will trying on your own. it is ammo and time well spent.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ready up drills and I'm up, he sees me, I'm down drills are always fun. I actually did some ready up drills with her today... Got kinda interesting when she shot the tree less than 5 feet away, and don't ask, please... I will make sure and tape the up, see, down drills hahaha.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you want to learn how to do things right, take a class. You will learn more in one day than you will trying on your own. it is ammo and time well spent.
The problem is finding classes around here, I live in the sticks of upstate, you can barely find karate classes let alone classes for tactical rifles.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The problem is finding classes around here, I live in the sticks of upstate, you can barely find karate classes let alone classes for tactical rifles.
I have driven 2 or so hours to get to a class, rarely are they close by.

Chris is closer out your way take a look at his schedule.

http://mdtstraining.com/services.htm

it is well worth the drive to take a class. learning correctly the first time saves tons of ammo....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Roll a tire down a hill and use it as a target. a foam pad that fits nice so it wont fly out while rolling with a breakaway target centered is another good addition to this moving target.

·
Registered
43 Posts
another good one if you have access to some woods. make a set path to walk and throughout this path mark trees that specifically come into sight throughout this path far and near. Put targets on some close and far trees. Youtube has many good tactical shooting videos and try your best to mimic the stances of the instructors and how they navigate while shooting.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
O lol, I"m such a retard I totally wasn't thinking power tools. XD

·
Registered
201 Posts
Some drills I've done include the simulated stress, its a great way to simulate combat stress, somewhat. I'll also try when its cold and and purposely be cold, hands shaking, kind of numb, also simulates stress to a degree. While doing these I also sometimes have head phones on to distract me a bit, usually I pick like a talk show or something because I find that most distracting, you constantly try to listen to what their saying without thinking about it.

Another thing I do is have three targets, load a magazine and have a person call out targets. "1".... "3".. "1".... "2".. Notice you want to have random pauses, change the length, always keep you guessing. While doing this I try to count rounds as well, reload with one in the chamber to optimize combat effectiveness.

Also walking forward in what they call a "Combat Glide" you're whole upper half moves independent of your lower half. So you walk in a somewhat crouch and in a gliding motion. From here I will do hammer and control pairs while advancing.

There's prob a ton out there, those are just some I do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts