New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got transferred closer to home for work so i'm in the market for a new truck. I've always been a Chevy guy and have been looking at the new 2500HD's but i swung by the dodge dealer just to look and fell in love with their 2500 "Power Wagon" so i'm strongly considering it. Anyone have any experiences with the newer dodges on here? I would assume the transmission problems that the older ones experienced has been fixed? Any other major problems with dodges?? Thanks!!!

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
There are quite a few Dodge owners on here but don't expect a response until at least 2am. You figure by the time they get towed home, get something to eat, and cruise the classifieds for any other make of truck (except the Honda Ridgeline. Come on.) it'll be late..

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are quite a few Dodge owners on here but don't expect a response until at least 2am. You figure by the time they get towed home, get something to eat, and cruise the classifieds for any other make of truck (except the Honda Ridgeline. Come on.) it'll be late..
Haha!!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I had an old dodge that I absolutely loved, 85 Ram with the slant six, that thing was a beast and I would almost believe its still running to this day.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Get it oiled/undercoated whatever you get. The worst thing about the newer Dodges is how fast they rust over the rear wheels. I have an '02 2500 that is very solid for the year and being a Dodge. Good luck with it.

Ragnar probably had his Chevy pulled out by a Dodge because his Z71 4wd only spins one front and one rear tire when "locked" in 4wd LOL and appears to be bitter about it!

·
Registered
900 Posts
honestly it's all about what u like the looks of & can afford to pay. It ain't like it used to be where each brand made there own parts & assembled them . Most parts are outsourced to the same places. The "Factories" just assemble modules that they have other companies build.
btw , what "transmission problem " are you reffering to ? My uncle has a 3/4 ton that we haul a 10,000 lb trailer with & have had no tranny issues . yet my grandfather's dakota went through 4 compounders (overdrive units).

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
btw , what "transmission problem " are you reffering to ? My uncle has a 3/4 ton that we haul a 10,000 lb trailer with & have had no tranny issues . yet my grandfather's dakota went through 4 compounders (overdrive units).
Seemed like the late 90's though 2000+ dodge had issues with their trannys.... idk exactly what the issues are but a few friends and family members had problems that required a replacment or a total rebuild of the transmission.... My dad bought a new one in 97 I think that had a V10 and the tranny went out with around 25,000 miles on it, Dodge replaced it and after about 15,000 more miles it started slipping again so he got rid of it. Another family member had 3 dullys with cummins ( around 2002's) and all 3 needed tranny work before they reached 100,000 miles, and a guy up the road has a 98 with around 70,000 that he just had the transmission replaced in.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Seemed like the late 90's though 2000+ dodge had issues with their trannys.... idk exactly what the issues are but a few friends and family members had problems that required a replacment or a total rebuild of the transmission.... My dad bought a new one in 97 I think that had a V10 and the tranny went out with around 25,000 miles on it, Dodge replaced it and after about 15,000 more miles it started slipping again so he got rid of it. Another family member had 3 dullys with cummins ( around 2002's) and all 3 needed tranny work before they reached 100,000 miles, and a guy up the road has a 98 with around 70,000 that he just had the transmission replaced in.
I know at some time there was a common issue with losing 2nd gear in the tranny around 70k - 100k and required a rebuild or replacement not sure what years off hand though

·
Registered
66 Posts
I own a 2007 Ram 2500 MegaCab... never had any problems (knock on wood). I do hear that they have more problems with the front ends than most others. This is the 3rd Dodge I've owned with no problems (Knock on wood again).

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I own a 2007 Ram 2500 MegaCab... never had any problems (knock on wood). I do hear that they have more problems with the front ends than most others. This is the 3rd Dodge I've owned with no problems (Knock on wood again).
I worked in a garage for a couple years and it seemed like fords where the worst for front ends

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Always been a Ford guy. Had an F350 until just recently that I loved but there were some issues with the fuel system. My BIL has a RAM that he loves. I guess its just what you got and what you're used to. My next truck will be another Ford...

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Always been a Ford guy. Had an F350 until just recently that I loved but there were some issues with the fuel system. My BIL has a RAM that he loves. I guess its just what you got and what you're used to. My next truck will be another Ford...
I would get a Ford if i could find a very low mileage 7.3 power stroke from down south....

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I would get a Ford if i could find a very low mileage 7.3 power stroke from down south....
I had an '06 6.4 Crew Cab. My wife drives a Mercedes E350 and preferred the truck for long trips. It was awesome. Fuel milage $ucked. Had a couple scares with the fuel system that turned out to be sensors. Could have been a lot worse. I'm told the newer engines are much better with milage. Comfortable ride bro. And could back it up when halling a trailer or a few yards of gravel.... Miss that truck badly.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I know some people with Dodge Trucks.... they rust unusually fast up here.

My uncle has a dodge and loves it.... then again he lives way down south so no rust to deal with.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know some people with Dodge Trucks.... they rust unusually fast up here.

My uncle has a dodge and loves it.... then again he lives way down south so no rust to deal with.
Everything rusts unusually bad around here (another reason to hate NYS haha) If i'm spending $40,000+ on a new truck it probably will not see a winter for a few years...

·
Registered
900 Posts
yeah I believe that was actually the compounders , problem was most people wouldn't use the "TOW/HAUL" button when carrying a load or towing . therefore the tranny was always trying to get up into OD but would slip like crazy , scorching the fluid & burning up the tranny. it happened so much that the dealerships would just accept it as a defect & push it off on dodge as a warranty issue . thats why most of them now say "OD OFF" .

·
Registered
900 Posts
lol , now theres an about face . Ya went from looking at new trucks to wanting a 10 +/- yr old truck . :wacko:

·
Registered
900 Posts
gotcha . I almost stepped out on porch to snap a pic & see what u would offer , lol ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts