New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking online for an advanced tactical classes and most are just for law enforcement. Dose anyone know a good place in the area for civilians?

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Check out one of the site's sponsors, MDTS. I've heard nothing but great things about the company.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Magpul is doing some courses in Western NY this summer. I really wanted to get to the MDTS course at Calverton last month but alas, my NYC permit is still pending.

·
Registered
97 Posts
One of the RPD guys could speak for RPD itself but, I took the Defensive Rifle Class 101 expecting it to be a "tactical" / combat focused class and it was for Home Defense. At first, I was let down but after the 2 hours of class time, I learned a lot of things I had no idea about or even thought about. Then we spent the rest of the day (about 6-8 hours) on the range doing a bunch of exercises. At the end of the day, I had a blast, I was glad I took it (you can't beat $135).

"Tink" was the guy who taught my class as well as a few other instructors and Brad from Jacksons Guns and Ammo was there taking the class, basically they were more than well equipped with knowledgeable people for AR's. I was the lone guy with an AK which "Tink" was as familiar with and he acknowledged that at the beginning of class and has since gone out to shoot the AK more to get a better understanding of it. He's very good about class feedback and always looking to improve. Brad new a couple things about the AK as well. I know my way around it so I had no issues all class save for accidentally shooting a 223 round that someone handed me by mistake (interesting moment when your gun starts pouring smoke out of it lol).

In the end, I was happy with the class and play on taking more classes with RPD. I plan on doing stuff with MDTS this year. Also, check out "Tactical Response". They aren't in the NY area unfortunately but friends who took their classes were more than impressed with the knowledge they gained. In fact, they taught me some stuff in just 4 hours one day. It was enough that I impressed everyone at that RPD class with the way I handled my AK (not trying to brag here, I just love my AK so I handle it well :p).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts