New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently got an antique black powder cannon with a 1 1/4 inch bore and a 15 inch barrel ..............its a blast just got some steel ball bearings just under the 1.250 bore they should work great with a patch, i use 600 grains of 2f powder it is very portable and fun to shoot ...any one else into this type of fun

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
My reenacting groups have a handful of cannons. If yours is vintage, be careful it may have pits or cracks.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
I used to dress the part and load my friends cannon for reenactments. Had a 2" or 2-1/2" steel sleeved bore, made by Lapans Foundry in Hudson Falls. That was back in the 80's, got me into muzzle loading in a big way.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep definitely a mortar ...LOL

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I built a 1/3 scale cannon from scratch. ,1&1/16" bore civil war style several yrs. ago. 4 to 500 gr. of blackpowder but no projectile. I use it for a noise maker on the 4th of July. I will see if I can figure out how to post a picture here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This looks like a good place to ask about some questions I have about owning small cannons. I have seen some smaller cannons available online that shoot small 1/4" slingshot ammo. Are there any restrictions on these types of cannons that I should be aware of before I buy or build one of these cannons? I have access to a metal shop and I am familiar with the tools and materials used to make one but I'm unsure of the rules attached to owning a cannon.

-Chris

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
as far as i know if its a muzzle loading cannon with black powder you might only have to worry about firing it if there are local city/town ordinences about shooting projectiles

·
Registered
77 Posts
A friend of mine rattled his neighbors windows with a 10" home made mortar stuffed with newspaper one night. When the village police showed up, he denied knowing anything about the glowing paper all over the back yard. At the police station, they couldn't find anything to charge him with except disturbing the peace.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts