New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a novice when it comes to the technical aspects of guns, and this is my first post, so I apologize if this has been answered or if I'm really confused about all this. I'm in the learning phase.

I'm looking at a used AR15, but I'm faced with the threaded-barrel issue too.
The majority of discussions I find are about permanently attaching a muzzle brake to the threads, but what are the options for non-threaded barrels? Is this something that is just not made? Seems like having no threads would be the easiest way to avoid a felony lol. When I look at a muzzle brake piece, I don't see why you just can't have those holes at the end of the barrel to start with. Why do you have to thread them on later with an attachment? What mechanical aspects of gun-making am I not aware of in this scenario? I'm sure a lot lol.

Can anyone offer me additional info about this topic or point me in the direction of the info? Researching is tough when you are new and are not sure exactly what you are looking for to read up on.

Thanks. I appreciate your time.

As a side note, I find it amusing that so long as I fix the threaded-barrel issue and remove the pistol grip, it's cool to have a grenade launcher on it haha. NYS sure is a weird place.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
You can find barrels with a target crown.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Jeff.

Are there any drawbacks to using these versus the threaded? Cost is a factor here. I don't want junk, but I can't afford top-of-the-line either.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Thanks, Jeff.

Are there any drawbacks to using these versus the threaded? Cost is a factor here. I don't want junk, but I can't afford top-of-the-line either.
Only difference is you won't have a brake/compensator. Whether that really matters is a lot of opinion and depends on your use. For target shooting I don't think it matters at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This rifle will be for home defense and target shooting....hopefully just target shooting :)

I will read up on target crowns.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
AR15
- A non threaded barrel you are ok.
- A threaded barrel you need to have the brake blind pinned permanently attached. Some also add a weld.
- A non threaded barrel with a muzzle brake such pressure mounted or clamped the law is fuzzy here but you need the brake permanently pinned
and/or welded anyway as required by this type of design.
- A barrel cut with an integrated compensator / brake pattern integrated at the muzzle all in one piece with the barrel you do not need anything else. It is also considered permanent as it is part of the barrel.

For target and long barrels a plain target crown might be the best.
For shorter barrels a brake helps with accuracy.
If you do competition brakes with side porting sometimes are not allowed due to the noise. Linear brake patters are allowed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've read a lot of the back-and-forth discussions on welding and pinning muzzle brakes and what constitutes as permanent, the issues with interpretation of the law by different officials/agencies, the state AWB, the expired federal AWB, etc. I'd like to bypass the whole thing by having no threads at all.

Do either of you have any brand recommendations or links for a "barrel cut with an integrated compensator / brake pattern integrated at the muzzle all in one piece?"

You guys are great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I've read a lot of the back-and-forth discussions on welding and pinning muzzle brakes and what constitutes as permanent, the issues with interpretation of the law by different officials/agencies, the state AWB, the expired federal AWB, etc. I'd like to bypass the whole thing by having no threads at all.

Do either of you have any brand recommendations or links for a "barrel cut with an integrated compensator / brake pattern integrated at the muzzle all in one piece?"

You guys are great. Thanks.
Keep in mind a muzzle brake is a wear part and will erode.

Integral brakes are usually only on heavy/bull barrels. Not a good choice for your use. Plus they are not as effective as a non-integral brake. At least from what I have seen available.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I agree with Jeff. If you want the most of a brake get an actual one.
Also if you shoot .223 or 6mm get 5/8x24 threads vs. the 1/2x28. The 1/2 threads are the standard but really a bad choice given the
little meat left at the crown even for a .223.
Badger Ordinance, Holland's Ultra brake, PRI, etc have amazing brakes that will mate the system perfectly.
Wide side porting is the most effective design. Just beware of noise restrictions if you compete or are planning to compete in the future.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
So, a target crown barrel looks like my best bet then?
A target crown will work fine for you and leave no question on the legality.

I have a pinned muzzle brake on my gun. I'm comfortable with it legally. I figure if they sell them in every gun store in the state I don't have much to worry about.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Sorry if I missed this but if your primary purpose is target, a crowned barrel will be fine. I was with my Brother-in-law a couple weeks ago and he was sighting in a new RRA with A-2 stock and a 16" heavy barrel with target crown. He put 5 rounds within a 1" sticker at 100 yrds without batting an eye. Very impressive. He also had the barrel bead blasted and the simple set up looked bada$$ but seemed to shoot as good or better than systems costing much more. That said, I wouldn't be too concerned about having a break properly pinned and welded. There are 1000s of post ban ARs out there in NYS configured that way now so you will be fine. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Goo point. The bull heavy barrel is a good reason to go with the target crown as the extra weight will anchor the ar to the sandbag or shooting support. If you want a long rail keep in mind that not many .936 gas blocks (specially the nice clamp on) work with the thin tubes.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Goo point. The bull heavy barrel is a good reason to go with the target crown as the extra weight will anchor the ar to the sandbag or shooting support. If you want a long rail keep in mind that not many .936 gas blocks (specially the nice clamp on) work with the thin tubes.
We're losing focus here. Target shooting and home defense... :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts