Hmm, now that IS interesting...

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Gotta love the CNN spin.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I agree with it. Kids today are ****ing animals. All races. They need their asses beat.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Since when do you get out of school suspension in elementary school? Completely misses the point.....Thats like saying " Hey you were bad so to punish you we are giving you a 3 day vacation" And even if your parents are hard on you at home its better then being in school if you are a 7 year old. Go find some real news CNN.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See, now hearing it without the spin, I am split. On the one hand, I know for a fact that our kids need more *ahem* "Hands on discipline", and that our school system nowadays is a joke. On the other hand, this school didn't really SOLVE that problem...and suspending someone for that is ludicrous.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, let's teach our kids that it's good to solve our problems with violence. That will surely improve things.
Ehh...I think it might be alright. Look at (specifically) school kids nowadays. They are out of control for the most part. This is due in large part, IMO, to the "better not touch that kid or you'll be sued" mentality. I'm sure a lot of people would agree.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
I'm sure there are ways to teach kids without resorting to physical violence. Try using your head instead of your fists. If kids are out of control these days, it's because of lazy parents, not because they're not kicking their teeth in.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I grew up old school corpral punishment seen not heard,learned respect thrue fear of the rod.Now I don't know I feel the USA is a weaker country because of lack of the rod.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I'm sure there are ways to teach kids without resorting to physical violence. Try using your head instead of your fists. If kids are out of control these days, it's because of lazy parents, not because they're not kicking their teeth in.
Who said anything about kicking anyones teeth in? IMO a light swat on the ass for some kids to get there attention is needed but it doesn't solve every situation. Kids are like anyone else and they all learn differently. I would say you need to base your parenting techniques based on how your child learns.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts

Enough said.

·
Registered
522 Posts
as someone who got the belt, spoon, bare bottom hand.... and comparing myself to my peers who were verbally / timeouted / disciplined.... i got the better deal by far... a spank ( 1-4 swats on the butt) is far more effective than a timeout in a room w/ a tv , books etc. after a few spankings by my father / mother all it took was the threat to get me to clean up my act. I think my sister would say the same thing.... now just to clarify im not talking beatings weekly. I only got spanked maybe 10 times in my entire life w/ plenty of warning beforehand. and looking back it was duely justified.... father even gave my friend a swat one time ( rich spoiled kid) back before people were sue happy. Needless to say he never threw the ball at window ever again.

even my sister (20) commented at thanksgiving this year about what sh!theads kids are these days. And she is on full scholarship to a prestigious NY school.

Though i will say bad parenting in general is a plague of our country now. parents are more concerned about themselves.. I see it now in my own childs playdates. They always ask me why my daughter is soo good... I simply say its because I am.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^^Agree 100% Even me, 21, was brought up by parents that used to spank me or give me a swift smack, and I graduated high school at 17 with honors and college at 19 with an AAS. Now we have kids that will be legally able to celebrate their High School graduation at the bar. :/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts