New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that You can't have a loaded rifle or shotgun in a car. I also know that "loaded" can also mean a loaded magazine. So even if you have a rifle in your car, and it has the magazine removed, the magazine must also be empty.

Here is my question:

I just picked up a Kel tec Sub2000 in Glock 9mm. I also have a Glock 17. Both guns accept the same magazine. If I have the Glock 17 and the Kel tec in the car at the same time, and I have extra loaded mags (for my glock). am I breaking the law?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Does your permit have sportsmens restrictions on it

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
In albany county we can have loaded magazines with are pistols in transport to where we can use and handle them just as a rifle. They have to be unloaded. I know counties can be different but in albany you would have to have them empty no matter what they were for. If you didnt have restrictions i think it would be a different story. I also woulnt keep them loaded or in a case or bag with the keltec

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
In albany county we can have loaded magazines with are pistols in transport to where we can use and handle them just as a rifle. They have to be unloaded. I know counties can be different but in albany you would have to have them empty no matter what they were for. If you didnt have restrictions i think it would be a different story. I also woulnt keep them loaded or in a case or bag with the keltec
For that you would need to know Albany's restrictions on the permit. Some counties, like this one, say nothing about having them unloaded on the way to the activities.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
For that you would need to know Albany's restrictions on the permit. Some counties, like this one, say nothing about having them unloaded on the way to the activities.
it was explained in the pistol class i took that the pistol has to be treated as you would a rifle until your at a location in which your allowed to use it within the restrictions put on by the county. His county may be different. Better to ask the judge in your county. Do you really want to find out the wrong way. NYS doesnt accept the excuse "I didnt know" or "I wasnt sure"

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know that I am allowed to "carry" the gun as long as I am going to and from my restrictions. I had a sit down with the judge at the time my permit was issued, and this was explained to me. So having a loaded handgun on my person while in the car is not a problem. Just curious if it could be interpreted as a me having a "loaded" Rifle in the car.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I know that I am allowed to "carry" the gun as long as I am going to and from my restrictions. I had a sit down with the judge at the time my permit was issued, and this was explained to me. So having a loaded handgun on my person while in the car is not a problem. Just curious if it could be interpreted as a me having a "loaded" Rifle in the car.
As long as they arent with the gun as in the same case I would think your ok. If you had it say in a gun case with the loaded mags stowed away next to it I could see them having an issue with that if they were in a separate range bag or on your person who knows. Like i said before better to ask someone in local law enforcement its not one of those things you want to learn later as NYS doesnt use ignorance as and acceptable reason to say opps

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I would say using reason (doesnt mean much we are in NYS after all) that if you had the magazines in lets say mag pouches on your person then you should be fine. If you have them stored in a way it could be construed as being meant for the rifle then you could run into some issues.

Regardless though if your in a situation where this could even become an issue (you are being stupid causing police intervention) then I am sure they will try regardless to say you intended to use them in the rifle.

Bottom line though it really depends on discretion of officer and if your just going to the range and you did get in trouble I think usually its just a fine or if you want to fight it I am sure you will win. I would also have a couple unloaded magazines with the rifle besides the loaded ones for your glock because if the only mags you have are loaded then good luck trying to have the cop work with you by trying to explain they werent meant for the rifle.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Based on what a state trooper told me, you should be OK if your kel tec (or other firearms that use the same magazines) is in your trunk since its not easily accessible.

On the other hand, based on some of the stories I've heard from one of the RPD instructors who's a sheriff, its still open to interpretation. There are always those "bad eggs" in the force that will give you a hard time.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just curious......when did you get permit for Dutchess? At one point they never issued restrictions?
Tell me about it - I just got it transferred from Ulster about 2 months ago. apparenty, any restrictions that you have are applied to your license in dutchess when you transfer. This was a new policy put in place while I was in the process of buying my house in Dutchess. Very nice of them to do that.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Dang....sorry to here that they did that; you are the first I have heard about having any restrictions and prompted the question.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts