New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a local gun shop about 3 months ago and found a ruger security six I have been looking for. It was made in my birth year, I bought it right then and there and went to the permit office. When I got the coupon I picked it up and took it home. When I got home I noticed that the hammer would not stay back securely if I wanted to shoot in single action. It would not lock back. I could push it forward with my thumb. If I tap the grip the hammer goes forward. I guess it had a terrible at home trigger job.

I went right back to the store and showed the guy working there the issue. He tired to tell me that it had a trigger job done (like it was a good thing) and that I should only use in double action anyway. I told him I wanted to use it for a target pistol and would like to use in single action at times. I showed him how the hammer would drop if i tapped the grip. Another customer who knew him said "Come on, that is not safe or right". He said the owner offered a 30 day warranty and would make it right. I offered to pay half of the repair bill because I should have checked it better. He said "Not needed we will make it right". He also told me it would take up to two months to fix. I left it with them and said thanks.

Fast forward two months. I called to see if there was an update. I was told call when the owner is in. I called and spoke to the owner. He said he would call the gunsmith for an update and to call back in 3 days. We played this game 3 times. He kept saying he forgot to call him or that the smith did not call back. At this point I am getting a bit frustrated but I know it can be easy to forget things.

After a couple of weeks I decide to stop in the shop and buy some ammo. I also asked for an update. The guy behind the counter (not the owner) goes to the safe and gets my gun out. I was happy thinking it was fixed. He tells me "The gun smith has not picked it up yet." It was sitting there for over two months. I told him to give it to me. He said "Alot of guys are going to Montrose PA to get theirs fixed. I told him I was told two months and its been over that and the thing has not even left yet! He said "I never told you that, call when the owner is in." If they would have told me they could not get it fixed I would have had it taken care of right away. They offered to cover the repairs and didn't even attempt to have it fixed.

I called the owner and was told that the gunsmith has retired. He said he was going to find another one and would call me soon. That was about 3 weeks ago and I have not been called. I found a local gun smith and dropped it off. I hope I can give a good review to him when I get it back. Anyone in Broome county stick to Chuck at Timber Creek. He takes care of customers. I usually go there but he did not have what I was looking for. End of rant!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I'm pretty sure I know exactly which shop you're talking about, but just to be sure, would you mind sharing?

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
McLains, that was my first and last experience there. Sucks because they have a nice selection but I won't spend any more money there. They have been there along time so they must be doing something right.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Yep... sounds about right.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
After all this I'm surprised they didn't claim it was now out of the 30 day warranty too, not that it matters at this point.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After all this I'm surprised they didn't claim it was now out of the 30 day warranty too, not that it matters at this point.
I don't think they had any intentions of getting it fixed. They could have just told me that up front. Oh well!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I hate that "you should have checked it out better" crap. Yeah, be mindful with a purchase, but come on. It's like having someone sell you a football field and you step on a land mine they put there. SHOULD HAVE CHECKED IT OUT BETTER! Not everything can be seen "checking it out at the store."

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hate that "you should have checked it out better" crap. Yeah, be mindful with a purchase, but come on. It's like having someone sell you a football field and you step on a land mine they put there. SHOULD HAVE CHECKED IT OUT BETTER! Not everything can be seen "checking it out at the store."
I agree, I offered to split the repair bill even after they said it was covered. I was trying to establish a good relationship with a local dealer who has a pretty nice inventory. I'm not a huge buyer but I will drop some $ on my hobby. In this economy I figured they would want to get/keep customers. Like I said they have been around quite awhile. Maybe they are doing something right, or maybe it's a lack of choices in the area.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sorry to hear about this...

Being upset is totally justified, I was pissed just reading your story. It's inconsiderate to say the least...

I hope the smith is good and doesn't beat you over the head with the price.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
ECU: In all the contacts I have had down in your area, I've not heard a lot of good feedback from the same location that you dealt with. Chuck at Timber Creek was one of my first connections in the area and he is superb to deal with. We send people to him and to Mike Mayhood's all the time. Why? Because they treat people like customers, not problems.

I know of a solid guy up here too. PM me if you want his info.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
I have dealt with Harry and I never had any issues with him but I can tell what type of person he is. I only go to him to find deals with new stuff. I recently bought a SR22 pistol from him and he was the same price as the internet so I bought from him. He is the kind of guy who is in this business to make money any way he can. Having repeat customers is not his goal.

I mainly deal with Chuck but I had small issues with him. The problems I have had is that he forgets to order stuff, does not call me when I get a transfer in and his selection is scarce new and used. He always has to order just about everything and sometimes his prices are high. It seems to me he does not have the drive to be bigger. I like the guy and he is honest. He does take care of me and that is one of the reasons why I still go there because I know he will not try to pull anything on me. I recently bought a Marlin 30AS 30-30 and when I got it home, I found a few major cracks in the stock. I called him and told him about it and he took care of me. No BS, no drama. His business has a lot more potential if he gets more modern firearms in and more accessories. Overall he is a very good guy to deal with and he does not try to rip you off.

James

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's sad when you have to learn the hard way. You try to do good and make a relationship to find out it's a waste of time and money. I think all of use have a story to tell. Very few guys around me I would deal with on a social level. Good luck on the repairs.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Harry......... LOL! I bought one of those brand new mossberg tactical 22s few months back shot it once ran about 100 rounds through it. A deal cane up on my AK that i just couldn't pass up i needed cash quick. This is 6 days later with a receipt tried selling it back to harry w the box and packaging he offered me $170 on a gun i purchased 6 days prior for $325....

·
Registered
794 Posts
Come to.think of it i don't remember exactly (i obviously didn't take the offer) it may have only been $150 he offered

·
Registered
794 Posts
Stopped by timber creek in.endwell for first time today not a huge selection but he's not that out dated had 2 bushmasters and an M&P in 223 also had a saiga 410.... i was surprised from what i read from other people that said he needs to update. That's a start! And a super nice guy as well wich goes a long way in my book

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I didn't mean to suggest Chuck didn't have anything good, that's definitely not the case. I just wish he had a wider selection of accessories, ammo and some more rigs to look at. That's really my only bitch, and it's easily put aside given his CS. Chuck's got great fishing gear, and overall I can't say anything but positives about all my dealings with Timber Creek, sorry if I wasn't more clear. Glad to hear you stopped in to the store.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Im amazed that i live within 10 miles of this place and have never been before today!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts