New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm taking the class for my AZ, FL and UT CCW and the guy says that you are only allowed to ship firearms to an FFL holder. So I pipe up and correct and say that you can ship guns to yourself and I quote the ATF website.

He then tells me that New York State has a law that prevents any firearms from being shipped to anyone except an FFL and that the ATF rule is contingent on not breaking any state laws.

I have since asked him to quote the exact law, because this is my preferred method of getting my guns to out of state matches and obviously getting them back. I have also sent my guns out for repair and custom work to out of state FFL holders and they always ship them back to me directly to my house. If someone figures out that my guns have to be sent back through a NY FFL then this would seriously crimp my style. I'm sure I can use the "in care of" workaround but it's still and inconvenience.

Does anyone have a NYS law citation that would cover shipping my own guns into the state?

·
Registered
605 Posts
So I'm taking the class for my AZ, FL and UT CCW and the guy says that you are only allowed to ship firearms to an FFL holder. So I pipe up and correct and say that you can ship guns to yourself and I quote the ATF website.

He then tells me that New York State has a law that prevents any firearms from being shipped to anyone except an FFL and that the ATF rule is contingent on not breaking any state laws.

I have since asked him to quote the exact law, because this is my preferred method of getting my guns to out of state matches and obviously getting them back. I have also sent my guns out for repair and custom work to out of state FFL holders and they always ship them back to me directly to my house. If someone figures out that my guns have to be sent back through a NY FFL then this would seriously crimp my style. I'm sure I can use the "in care of" workaround but it's still and inconvenience.

Does anyone have a NYS law citation that would cover shipping my own guns into the state?
SALES and transfers have to go through an FFL.

The law your probbaly looking for is NY Penal Law 265.10 (2) which prohibits the transport or shipping of machine guns, firearms, assault weapons and large capacity magazines. Note that in this law the term 'firearms' does NOT include normal rifles and shotguns, so essentially for this discussion it means handgun. Also note this law applies to ALL transport, including from your house to the range, not just interstate transport.

Regular shotgun and rifle are not prohibited for transport or shipping under the above law so mailing them to yourself doesnt even fall under this prohibition.

As for handguns- we need to look at the exemptions in section 265.20
Section 265.20 lists a whole bunch of different people and situations that are exempt from 265.10 (and a bunch of other sections also). Sub par (3) is the exemption for pistols/revolvers by the CCW license holder. So assuming you have a proper license to legally posses your handgun, then you are exempt from the prohibition and can legaly transport or ship it.

As for Assault weapons- this one is a bit trickier to understand and we need to look at the definition of Assault Weapon in Section 265.00 (22).
I think we are all familiar with the various eveil features that turn a rifle into an AW. But if you go down further inthe defintion to (22)g. you can read that the defintition of AW "does not apply to..." [various things] ... down to item (v) any weapon that is registered.
So, if you register you AR-15 with all it's evil features it DOES NOT meet the defintion of an Assault Weapon under this law. So.. 265.10 makes it illegal to transport or ship assault weapons, but registering makes the weapon not an assault weapon. Well, if it is not defined as an assault weapon under the law (because it is registered) then all that leaves is that it is a just rifle. And 265.10 doesnt prohibit shipping or transporting rifles.

Bottom line- the only law I could find about shipping also covers ALL transport, so if you can put it in your trunk to bring to the range or training class or whatever, then it is just as legal (or illegal) to ship it to yourself.

NOTE: shipping it to someone else would turn into a tranfer or 'disposing' of the weapon and thats a whole different section of the law. Dont do that.

·
Registered
574 Posts

The law your probbaly looking for is NY Penal Law 265.10 (2) which prohibits the transport or shipping of machine guns, firearms, assault weapons and large capacity magazines.
you can interept it any why you like but if they arrest you then you are in a judges hands. to me the word firearm is any thing you put a bullet in pull the trigger and it goes bang

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
No matter what the state says . When you ship anything out of state it becomes a federal problem , so then you have operate under the fed laws . I ship my handguns to myself anywheres I am going with no problems . Shipping to an FFL creates more problems because then you have go through the registration process all over again ! As was already stated Don't Do That ! It's legal just the way you are doing it !

·
Registered
3,735 Posts

The law your probbaly looking for is NY Penal Law 265.10 (2) which prohibits the transport or shipping of machine guns, firearms, assault weapons and large capacity magazines.
you can interept it any why you like but if they arrest you then you are in a judges hands. to me the word firearm is any thing you put a bullet in pull the trigger and it goes bang
That's not true . You better read the laws again .

·
Super Moderator
3,236 Posts
WHAT is the definition of a firearm?
Direct quote from Penal code.

"3. "Firearm" means (a) any pistol or revolver; or (b) a shotgun having
one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length; or (c) a rifle
having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length; or (d)
any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle whether by alteration,
modification, or otherwise if such weapon as altered, modified, or
otherwise has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches; or (e)
an assault weapon. For the purpose of this subdivision the length of the
barrel on a shotgun or rifle shall be determined by measuring the
distance between the muzzle and the face of the bolt, breech, or
breechlock when closed and when the shotgun or rifle is cocked; the
overall length of a weapon made from a shotgun or rifle is the distance
between the extreme ends of the weapon measured along a line parallel to
the center line of the bore. Firearm does not include an antique
firearm."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts