New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found this very old set, seems completely intact. These must be at the very least 35 years old.
The label on it says fisher scientific 11-582 hydrometer set

I googled that and came up with this. So amazingly it seems they are still selling the same product even though these are so old.
Fisherbrand Set of Eight Precision Specific Gravity Hydrometers - Fisher Scientific
The thing is though , that is an 8 piece set as are the ones I was able to find on ebay. This older kit, though having the same item number, is a 9 piece set with one that looks different from the others.

I don't know anything about these, I don't know if they "go bad" (maybe that sounds silly, but heck I don't know) and they seem like such a specific specialty thing that I have no idea where I would sell them or to whom...

I'd appreciate any help. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
There used in Wine making to measure the sugar content in respect to the alcohol content. I do not think you will get a lot for them as they are specific to that use and anyone who needs them already has them. You could try a couple Wineries to see if they might be interested. Most home winemakers only use 1 or 2 different ones. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
If the ones you have are identical to the ones in the link you posted, please do not advertise those to home brewers!

Those posted in the link are for lab use only as they contain mercury. Those used in the wine making and home brew hobby, in addition to being much cheaper, do not contain harmful substances (as we tend to break them quite often and don't want poison in our beer/wine).

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the ones you have are identical to the ones in the link you posted, please do not advertise those to home brewers!

Those posted in the link are for lab use only as they contain mercury. Those used in the wine making and home brew hobby, in addition to being much cheaper, do not contain harmful substances (as we tend to break them quite often and don't want poison in our beer/wine).
That's good to know thughes, thanks.

They are almost identical except for the fact that the kit contains one extra device as mentioned above, that looks somewhat different from the others. I haven't been able to find much info on that. I see similar kits (same brand, same item number, minus the ones extra thing) on Ebay for around $200 but that doesn't mean they are selling.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I contacted the company that still makes the kit and the customer service was truly excellent. I spoke at length with a lovely lady who was more than willing to chat in detail about it. I was very pleased but honestly shocked to say the least at how accommodating and pleasant she was to someone who by all rights is not a current or even prospective customer. Anyway, the 9th piece as it turns out is a specialty thermometer which is still included with the current kits but this one just looks a little bit different than the newer ones.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My son makes Mead and brews his own beer, he would be interested. Please figure out want you want for the set and let me know.
Well, I'd definitely be interested in selling but one of the fellows above mentioned that these shouldn't be used in alcohol production because they contain mercury. I mean.. I suppose that doesn't matter as long as they don't break.. but.. well..

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Agree with the eBay suggestion. Throw it on there, there's bound to be someone looking around for some hydrometers. You might have to run the auction for a few weeks though before you get any bites. I wouldn't know where to start pricing on something like that though.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agree with the eBay suggestion. Throw it on there, there's bound to be someone looking around for some hydrometers. You might have to run the auction for a few weeks though before you get any bites. I wouldn't know where to start pricing on something like that though.
Interesting thing about that. Although there already some listed on Ebay, I read Ebay's policies on it and they say no items with mercury are allowed to be listed. Obviously the sellers on there just didn't care and listed them anyway but the larger problem with that is the woman with whom I spoke at the company who makes these made sure to mention to me also that shipping them to certain states would be illegal (I guess mercury is only regulated hazardous materials in some states..pfft). She specifically mentioned California but said there may be others. The Ebay sellers who do have similar ones up mention nothing about mercury or shipping restrictions to those states. They're chancing it I suppose to get past Ebay's restrictions, or simply don't know, but I would really prefer not to potentially get myself in any legal trouble.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
...They're chancing it I suppose to get past Ebay's restrictions, or simply don't know, but I would really prefer not to potentially get myself in any legal trouble.
Well, there's always Craigslist if you don't mind the obnoxious emails and the potential crazy stopping over to have a look.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, there's always Craigslist if you don't mind the obnoxious emails and the potential crazy stopping over to have a look.
Ha, I've done that quite a bit actually, and it's always an experience. Honestly though in my deal hunting I've probably more often BEEN the creepy weirdo expecting to be invited into people's homes to check out thier stuff..heh

The woman from the customer service, believe it or not, actually made a decent suggestion for them. She mentioned that they might be donated to a local college science program (of which there are actually quite a few in my area) and used as a tax write off. I really need the money now so I'd prefer to sell but if I can't find a buyer.. well, it's an option.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
I was going to suggest donating them as well, but to a high school.

I can't really help you out, but I used to work for Thermo-Fisher Scientific (as a co-op/intern). We used to make all sorts of cool labware and products. The customer service people were always awesome. I never knew that Nalgene bottles were made in Fairport (just outside Rochester) until I started working there. In the 6 months that I worked there, I think I ended up with 10 or 12 of the bottles that needed to be tested for quality control.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.