New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I traded a friend of mine a skateboard that I didn't use for a crossbow that needed a new cable and string that he wasn't going to fix. Win-win. Well I took the top off of the bow, so I only had the bow part that needed to be fixed. Then I went up to Gander Mountain with some cash. They guy working in archery said since he couldn't tell what kind of crossbow it was he wouldn't know what size cables or string to order. I'm no expert but there's got to be a way to measure it. I went home dissappointed, but it was probably my fault so no big deal. The guy I got the bow from Had no idea what kind it was and had peeled all the stickers identifying it off. An hour of research later I found out what I needed and had ordered the cables and string. It all got here today, so I went back to Gander(the only place in Kingston I know of that does bow repair) and a different person was at the archery department. Well I gave him the bow, the cables and string and asked him to string it up. Well after he looked at it for a few minutes he showed me a different crossbow, and tried to explain how he could not understand how the cables and string were supposed to go on the bow and wants me to contact the company and get instructions. Now I was upset, but still could be my fault. Maybe I mis-identified the bow, thus ordered the wrong cables, so back to the internet. I made sure I ordered the cables for the bow I think I have...Yup MK250. Do I have an MK250 found out how to disassemble it and all the intructions matched up to disassemble it and it looks the same so I'm pretty sure it's the right bow. I emailed the online store that I got the cables from about getting instructions and they were useless ("maybe you can show them a picture of the bow and they can figure it out *insert stock photo of the bow that in no way shows the cam the guy couldn't understand*). So, I have to figure it out. It took me less than five minutes to figure out how it is supposed to work. I just have to get a press to do it myself. Going back to Gander tomm. to get a portable press they have for $30(it's a weird cable winch thingy that should work). Grr...wish there wa another store like them, that I wanted to spend money at.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
So, your Gander Mtn complaint is that you showed up without really knowing what you had, and expected someone else to fix your problem on the spot when they wouldn't know what you had (which could have caused an issue where they attempted something and broke something and then you'd hang it on the store as responsible)?

Did you think to talk to a manager before getting mad and leaving twice, and then posting here?

And, if you figured it out, why not go back and explain what you need, so they can use the press they (assumed) have and you can be on your way?

Seems like the only way this is a Gander Mtn complaint is if you changed your name...

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Thats weird, the Gander I go to would have fixed it even if they didnt know how.

·
Registered
166 Posts
this sounds familiar to me you have to realize some times places in this area dont want to hire people with the knowlege that they should have,just hire bodies to fill positions.skwiggledork did you try northern dutchess archery they are only across the river in redhook,I heard a lot of good things about them.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just fixed it myself.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Gander Mountain sucks! Rather than start a new thread......

I bought a game cam last year for almost $180 out the door with warranty. Brought it back this year to the store to return under the warranty (stopped working) and was told I had to ship it out to their contratctor that deals wath warranty returns. They do not handle warranty returns in the store after 30 days.

Send the unit out and get a gift card in the mail for a little over $160. I call Gander Mountain and tell them I don't want a gift card and that I want the money creditied to my card as that's what I used to make my purchase. Went round and round with the lady on the phone and was told they can't do it because Gander Mountain wants their money (and I need to burn my money on their junk).

Went in the Kingston store and bought a tree stand this weekend for over $200 using the gift card. Brought it back the next day because I have enough cedar on the property that I don't need to waste $200. Talked to the clerk and manager about cerditing my card with the gift money. I had the original receipt for the game cam and the letter that came with the gift card refund (just happened to have it). I told them I was not happy and that I was cancelling my card and never going there again. They refund my money to me in cash. I'm grateful but not happy about the way they operate. Not at all happy with the run around. I'm sticking with Cabela's. Would rather wait and go the the Maine store once a year and spend my money or go to the local Mao-Mart than spend my money at Gander Mountain.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
AAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD again (especially since you didn't mention it) it would seem that you did not talk to a manager or store owner and just accepted what the guy at the counter told you.

Even still, you then went and bought something else, then tried to (essentially) sneakily get your money back by returning another product.

Why not just talk to the manager? If you don't get what you want, talk to the store owner. If you don't get what you want, call/write the corporate office.

Many, MANY places will only in-store warranty something for 30 days, then you have to contact the company... it's pretty standard practice.

Lastly, what I don't understand is, why do you people get upset at the polices set forth by the company you are purchasing from? If you don't want to waste the time to go online and read their sales/returns policies or not bother to ask in store ahead of time, you have no right to complain.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
NEVER go to gander mountain for any work done on a bow do a google search and find archery shops near you chances are the guys there will know a hell of alot more than the idiots and gander mountain

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
So, your Gander Mtn complaint is that you showed up without really knowing what you had, and expected someone else to fix your problem on the spot when they wouldn't know what you had (which could have caused an issue where they attempted something and broke something and then you'd hang it on the store as responsible)?

Did you think to talk to a manager before getting mad and leaving twice, and then posting here?

And, if you figured it out, why not go back and explain what you need, so they can use the press they (assumed) have and you can be on your way?

Seems like the only way this is a Gander Mtn complaint is if you changed your name...
I think the point of his rant is that he bought the right parts for the right bow and brought it to a place that is supposed to specialize in archery and the people at the counter had not a clue in the world how to do something that took him a few minutes on his own, which would irk me too. It is a valid complaint to me, that's like going to a car shop and the mechanic is like "Well I'm not really sure how to change your oil" so you go home and do it yourself in 10 minutes. The problem with gander is that it has no one in there that has any kind of firearm or archery background it's just a department store specializing in hunting, most of those guys probably know about as much as a guy who works at Wal-Mart sporting goods and goes hunting on the weekends.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Idk if gun shops do alot of crossbows, I don't think the ones around me would monkey with them, they would probably tell me to go somewhere else with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.