New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Condolences to the family of the elderly couple, this is an awful accident. But the thing that peeves me the most is the arrest of the Georgia guy for having a pistol. As if he doesn't have enough on his mind right now. He has to live with the fact that he just killed two people out of no fault of his own, and I'm sure has customers that need to be told their cars are destroy. Not to mention the fact that his livelihood most likely depended on the truck that is now destroyed as well.

This is why we need reciprocity for pistol licenses just like driver licences.

disclaimer: I know nothing more than what is in the article and assume the man from GA is legit. The fact that no other charges were filed makes me believe he is.

Elderly Hurley man, wife dead after car-truck crash on U.S. Route 209 (update) (with videos) - DailyFreeman.com

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
NY sucks due to the lack of reciprocity, but it's up to you to know the laws of the states you're traveling through. Ignorance is no defense. While I agree with you that it's a joke, it is what it is (for now), and we have to deal with it as we work to change the culture.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
No one should need a license in the USA PERIOD.. Its a right not a privilege.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's no good no matter how it is sliced. However, any gun owner should always check the laws along the route and at the destination before travelling. It wouldn't change the car accident, but he could have avoided the firearm arrest easily. I do agree that it's really the last thing the police should have been worried about.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
This crap needs to be stopped. These laws are unconstitutional.
Priests, bishops, pastors and reverends need to check the laws of the states they are traveling in as the 1st may not be the same as their own state.
Reporters and journalists will also need to be up on these differences as well. Arrests will be made.
If this poor sap has to go to court I'm thinking jury nullification will be in order.

·
Registered
722 Posts
NY sucks due to the lack of reciprocity, but it's up to you to know the laws of the states you're traveling through. Ignorance is no defense. While I agree with you that it's a joke, it is what it is (for now), and we have to deal with it as we work to change the culture.
Disobeying unconstitutional laws is not ignorance. Its obedience to our rights.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I know several people who drive big trucks for a living and alaway carry a handgun for protection, They'd rather be tried by twelve then carried by six.
A couple of them who have been caught and charged with a misdemeanor gun possession charge had their lawyer postpone the court procedures so much the court droped the charges.
I read the story and don't know if this guy is a full time car hauler, a car dealer guy delivering southern cars up north to another car dealer for resale or a part-time car hauler, It really doesn't matter. If you do any raveling you do not know the areas you will end up in and you do not know what type of dangerous situation you may be putting yourself in to. You should be able to protect yourself at all cost any where you go.
In situations like this if the person has a legally owned handgun, has a conceal carry permit from their home state, did nothing illlegal but got caught I think they should be issued a warning and be sent on their way.

A friend of mine back there in Upstate New York had a friend who was a NYS Trooper, He stopped a car out of Florida for a traffic stop. The guy had a felony warrent for 2nddegree murder. He took him it jail, booked him in. When they contacted the police agency down in Florida and told them they have their guy, They were told to release him, He'll come back to Florida and they'll adventually pick him up. They didn't want to spend the money to extradite him back. So in my opinion haveing a legally owned handgun in your communist run state shouldn't be on the top of their list of things to file charges on. But with pieces of **** democraps running the show I suspect they'd charge their own mother of a gun crime.

A year or so ago I did a dove release for a 29 year old black woman who was shot and killed by a stray bullet from two rival gang banger groups who were shooting at each other at a 7-11 store. She just pulled in and didsn't even shut the car off before she took a stray bullet. They fled and no one was charged with the crime, even though they had several survailence cameras there recording the crime.
The family cantacted me to perform a dove release at the funeral that was held at a Methodist Church a couple of blocks away from where she was killed. After the funeral services and I was leaving the church I seen this anti-prostitution sign a couple of blocks away right in downtown Tacoma. Where there's prostitution - there's drugs, where there's drugs - there's robberies, Her death was a result of the piece of **** gang bangers who control the drug trade in that area. It can happen to anyone at any time, that is why I carry a concealed handgun everyday all day.

Here is a Tacoma street sign that was hung a couple of blocks away from where she was shot & killed and from where the funeral was held.
Anti-Prostitution Tacoma.jpg

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Also I thought you could drive from one state to another with any firearm, as long as you are allowed to possess such firearm in the state you are driving to??

·
Registered
900 Posts
Also I thought you could drive from one state to another with any firearm, as long as you are allowed to possess such firearm in the state you are driving to??
have to follow that states laws . if no ressiprocity , then generally it must be locked away unloaded with ammo in seperate place .

·
Registered
9 Posts
New York does not recognize any other state's licensing of citizens to own a pistol, no less to carry one in to New York. In NY a license from NY is not even good in the whole state. (NYC and Nassau and Suffolk have separate rules and licenses) The guy from Georgia will have a problem. The rare exception might hold up if he can prove he was traveling to a collegiate competition or similar situation as spelled out in the federal rules that NY can't ignore. They are rare and specific situations, doesn't seem likely here.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Heard about the wife passing on the local news on the ride home from work. Was expecting to hear the gun thing but they never mentioned a word about the driver or the gun. The way the media is, I was surprised.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts